• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no volts or freq's!!

padolin

hey folks, i recently purchased a MEP 701a/ 016B from gov liquidation. after some frustration getting it running,( battery terminals backwards, had to adjust the governor linkage, and find fuel and oil filters) i found that once it is up and running there are no volts or frequencies showing on the meters. i used an external meter and got the freq's to 60 HZ. there still arent any volts showing on the meter.

I have NOT hooked any wires to the terminals. I was just trying to get the outlets on the front to work to see if i can get any power out of it at all.

any suggestions??

also, it wont shut down with the switch on the front or by pulling the DC circuit breaker, i have to manually shut it down using the throttle linkage...

thanks for the help to a newbie!!!

Isaac-1

Like dependable said you may have hurt something in the control system with the battery connection backwards, that may take some digging to find, but this should not effect your lack of output voltage. It sounds like you have some residual voltage showing up on your external meter (probably 5-10 VAC or so) which is enough to get a frequency reading on. Have you tried flashing the field by turning the switch back to the start position while the engine is running? (there is a safety interlock that should keep the starter from trying to start) If so what happened (does the voltage come up then fall back down when you release the switch?

Ike

padolin

I just did like you said. I started it and went back to the start position after it was running. Nothing on any of the meters. What now? A cool go cart with a diesel engine? Lol :driver:

Isaac-1

Don't give up so fast, download the TM's for the MEP-016b and go through the test procedures. There are 3 likely possibilities for it not generating,

1, fried generator end (least likely, but if it is you can start thinking about your go cart project)

2, problem with the voltage regulator, these were designed to be repaired and common component testing is included in the TM, if this is the problem you can drop in an after market modern made in china regulator for under $50, or buy the real thing for about $270 new.

3, bad rotating rectifier diode in the generator end, these are cheap $5 or so, but somewhat a pain to get to, the TM shows removing the generator end to do this, but people have reported success in getting to them through the end plate with the use of wobble socket extensions, etc.

Ike

padolin

I checked the volts. It showed about 18 or so for a split second then dropped to .1. Not sure if it's my volt meter or what. I'm guessing the initial reading was correct tho. Anyone know where I can get a voltage regulator? I'll take the Chinese version.

Thanks for all the help

padolin

I checked the volts. It showed about 18 or so for a split second then dropped to .1. Not sure if it's my volt meter or what. I'm guessing the initial reading was correct tho. Anyone know where I can get a voltage regulator? I'll take the Chinese version.

Thanks for all the help

Isaac-1

Clone SX460 shipped from in the US on ebay for under $50, just ordered another one myself, look at my recent thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/auxiliary-equipment/94526-mep-016-sx460-avr-shuffle.html Although at this point my gut feeling is your problem is likely a bad rectifier diode under the end plate of the generator end.
Ike

p.s. looks like the price is up on the SX460 clone, the place where I paid $47 three days ago is now up to $58

Last edited:

M725

Don't give up so fast, download the TM's for the MEP-016b and go through the test procedures. There are 3 likely possibilities for it not generating,

1, fried generator end (least likely, but if it is you can start thinking about your go cart project)

2, problem with the voltage regulator, these were designed to be repaired and common component testing is included in the TM, if this is the problem you can drop in an after market modern made in china regulator for under $50, or buy the real thing for about $270 new.

3, bad rotating rectifier diode in the generator end, these are cheap $5 or so, but somewhat a pain to get to, the TM shows removing the generator end to do this, but people have reported success in getting to them through the end plate with the use of wobble socket extensions, etc.

Ike
Who has these parts I am unable to locate any of these items.

Munchies

Search Ebay for "sx460" for the aftermarket regulator.

Get the NSN from your manual for the diode and search using that number, if you can't find anyone with one in stock post the NSN and I will find one somewhere, but it should not be too hard

Isaac-1

There are several sellers on ebay that sell the SX460 clones search on "sx460 voltage regulator", there are also a number of generator equipment dealers that will sell you an SX460 clone, but their pricing tends to be a bit more than ebay, they will also sell you real Stamford Newage SX460's made in the UK for about $300-$350. If you don't like using ebay, I have bought parts for my Kohler diesel generator from partsfortechs.com, they sell an SX460 clone for $130. For the ebay deal on the NOS original style AVR search ebay on "6110-00-764-7621 regulator" it is poorly listed under collectables or some such.

Ike

M725

Search Ebay for "sx460" for the aftermarket regulator.

Get the NSN from your manual for the diode and search using that number, if you can't find anyone with one in stock post the NSN and I will find one somewhere, but it should not be too hard
Thanks, how do the regulators hook up the ones on ebay By the pictures do not have a place to hook up the 10 wires the same way.
I also have a bridge rectifier assembly with a burnt Resistor . I can not locate the same, the ones I do I have to be a b

Isaac-1

Take a look at the link I posted for installing an SX460 on a MEP-016D last weekend, I will be doing the same on my MEP-701a / 016B in the next few days, weather and delivery by the postal service permitting. You should have wires from outside the AVR going to 6 terminal screw, there are also 3 more terminal screws with wires that go inside the AVR, those 3 you can ignore:

20&21 are F1, and F2 (may be marked F+/F-) for the field exciter

2 of the others are AC input

the other 2 are going to your front panel voltage adjustment knob

these last are slightly different on the MEP-016b than on the MEP-016d I did last weekend so I am not giving numbers until I can double check them. Some of these terminals may have more than one wire going to it (the AC terminals as they are used as a tap point for the case fan power on the ASK kit), but all the ones going to the same screw would just move over to the matching terminal on the SX460

For the part number for the rotating rectifiers they are 1N1204a and should be available from most electronic parts houses (Mouser, Digi-Key, Newark, etc.) There are either 3 or 6 of these in the generator end, I have not looked on this particular model.

Ike

Isaac-1

The MEP-002a is a bit different, I don't know if an SX460 would be an appropriate AVR for it or not, I will try to find the specs on the exciter resistance and operating current then give you a best guess. I have never heard of anyone using an SX 460 on a MEP-002a or MEP-003a.

Ike

p.s. it looks like an SX460 might work on a MEP-002a, however it looks like the wiring to connect it may be a bit more complicated since the MEP-002a does not have an all in one "shoebox" style voltage regulator, but instead has a number of individual components mounted in the control box.

Last edited:

padolin

ok, which SX 460 do i get? it looks as though there are two different ones. im an idiot when it comes to these things, trial and error, lol

CUMMINS ONAN 305-0982 E000-24600 VOLTAGE REGULATOR SX460 STAMFORD

or

NEWAGE STAMFORD AVR SX460 Automatic Voltage Regulator

first one is about 60 bucks, the second one is 45 or so. This was on ebay.. is there a difference?

also, on the diode i found this one SOLID STATE - 1N1204A - STANDARD DIODE, 12A, 400V, DO-4

for 3.85. is that the right one?

thanks for all the help, by the time this project is done ill be a generator fixin mofo!!

Paul:deadhorse:

Isaac-1

They both appear to be the same, both are made in china clones of the real Stamford Newage SX-460 which runs about $300 new. If you look at them carefully there do seem to be 2 or 3 different made in China clones out there, there is not much visible difference between the models though, some have the outputs labeled, some don't (Some use the F1,F2 method of labeling the exciter leads, some use the more European X,XX) some have cheap folded metal jumpers like the ones you linked show, others used short lengths of wire for their jumpers, etc.

Ike

p.s. the instruction manuals that come with these are less than ideal and often lack critical information, for example the one I recently bought while on first glance looked good, did not show which leads the power input / reference should be connected to.

Last edited:

padolin

Got my sx460 in the mail today. Sounds like a sat morning project to do right before the WVU game. Hopefully I can figure out the wiring!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks