• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nobody wants to insure my deuce!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Mechanic

Farm Burea insured mine just 6 months ago.... No restrictions just had to be a seperate buisness policy due to the wieght. Liability only $35 a month in NC

Dipstick

there are several companies who will gladly insure it, j.c. taylor is one but with historic tags there are going to be restrictions. if you don't want to go by the rules then get commercial tags and pay the high price of using it for what you want.
I insured my truck with Progressive. I told them it's not for commercial use, not for hire, doesn't carry people, doesn't have a plow or a dump body and they insured me relatively cheaply. No restrictions. I registered my truck as a code 15 commercial vehicle (commercial vehicle for non-commercial use) here in N.J. Don't even have to go to inspection.

mhassett

I have Progressive on my Dueces, 4 of them, plus an M37.
Yes, commercial insurance, but I can drive when ever, where ever I wand. Also, I am covered for who ever drives my truck.
Expensive, yes $4,000/year, but I do not want any trouble from insurance.
I have a Jepp and a G-506 with Hagerty. Keep in a locked barn. No problem. Happy with their coverage.
Most owners get by cheaper. Most fudge on the use of their trtucks.
I just do not want any problems.
I look at insurance as a cost of ownership.
Duece is not cheap, 7 trucks is expensive.
Just my Approach.
Hope this helps.
MHassett
Bush, LA

69GTOby

Wow, thanks for all the input everyone! I don't get it... I mention "deuce and a half" or "military truck" or the like and every agent acts like I am speaking a different language. "Oh we don't insure those." "Ohhh no we can't help you. Try this number to a local agency that we last dealt with 6 years ago" (and is no longer there)! All the big guys, Progressive, State Farm, Geico, give me answers like that. Some of you guys say you had no problem, and others express the same frustration I'm having. What's the difference? I guess the area, unlucky to get a lazy/inexperienced/unaware agent, my age... or a combination of many things.

Maybe it has something to do with commercial vs. non, because many of you have mentioned commercial registration and tags. I got Antique VA tags. I don't really understand how I could use commercial. I do not own a business or intend to use the truck for a business... I guess I could change it to commercial but not for commercial use, as was mentioned. Is that what I have to do? I am getting pretty exhausted with this.

Someone said insurance companies will try to get out of providing coverage in the event of a claim. I could definitely see that happening... I do not plan on doing this, certainly not for long, but how bad is it to drive a truck like this without insurance anyway? Obviously, probably not good if caught or involved in an accident I suppose.

KsM715

......... but how bad is it to drive a truck like this without insurance anyway? Obviously, probably not good if caught or involved in an accident I suppose.

You answered your own question. Just think what you'd pay out of pocket if you took your truck just down the road and the brakes just go to the floor at the intersection (yes, it's happened before) and you plow into a family in a mini-van and send 2,3, or 4 people to the hospital. I'm guessing 4-500K easily. Just ask yourself, is the risk worth the reward?

XJ01-08

Got mine last november, I was 22 and I got mine insured through State Farm as a commercial vehicle. Only issue was they don't do commercial policies to people under 25 unless you have a non commercial vehicle insured with them. The way my agent was talking any vehicle over 10k GVWR has to be on a commercial policy regardless of how its being used.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

I'm just running weighted tags on mine, antiqe tags were more and didn't change anything but what the tag said. I weighted it at 16,000 lbs and insured it at the same. That kind of thing you do at the DMV office. And as far as age I'm only 27.

Attachments

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know there are a million threads out there about this... but many are outdated. I have been working on getting my 71 M35A2 tractor insured for months now. I've spent hours on the phone, filling out online applications, doing searches online and so forth all to no avail. I am getting quite frustrated now. None of the big COs want anything to do with it - Geico, State Farm, Progressive, etc... I got pretty close with Hagerty, but with them I can't do ANYTHING with the truck.

I mean, come on! Let's be serious, I might want to take it through some woods and creeks a few times a year and if I put a bed on it I might use it for a few trips to the dump or whatever. Mostly, I'll just be driving it occasionally here and there for fun, no big deal. Oh an no, I will not be storing it in a garage, at least not any time soon to be honest, but who cares? You can't hurt these trucks, but for some reason Hagerty insists it be stored indoors. Hagerty is clearly not the right CO for deuce insurance unless you're truly driving it for parades and shows ONLY.

I live in MD, I'm 22 and have a clean driving record. Can anyone tell me who can insure this friggin truck please?
Wow, thanks for all the input everyone! I don't get it... I mention "deuce and a half" or "military truck" or the like and every agent acts like I am speaking a different language. "Oh we don't insure those." "Ohhh no we can't help you. Try this number to a local agency that we last dealt with 6 years ago" (and is no longer there)! All the big guys, Progressive, State Farm, Geico, give me answers like that. Some of you guys say you had no problem, and others express the same frustration I'm having. What's the difference? I guess the area, unlucky to get a lazy/inexperienced/unaware agent, my age... or a combination of many things.

Maybe it has something to do with commercial vs. non, because many of you have mentioned commercial registration and tags. I got Antique VA tags. I don't really understand how I could use commercial. I do not own a business or intend to use the truck for a business... I guess I could change it to commercial but not for commercial use, as was mentioned. Is that what I have to do? I am getting pretty exhausted with this.

Someone said insurance companies will try to get out of providing coverage in the event of a claim. I could definitely see that happening... I do not plan on doing this, certainly not for long, but how bad is it to drive a truck like this without insurance anyway? Obviously, probably not good if caught or involved in an accident I suppose.
Here are a few things I see with your problem .
1. You live in Maryland , but the truck is registered in Virginia as Antique .
2. You want to use the truck for things the plates don't allow.
from Virginia DMV;
Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.
Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.
Carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects or other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes
3. You say it is a M35A2 tractor , insurance company books will show a M35A2 as a cargo truck , this will confuse them m many won't touch a tractor .
4. If you don't want restrictions properly title and register in the state you live in with proper plates . As far as not using for commercial , it is the weight of the truck what puts it into a commercial class not the use . Heavier vehicles cause more wear on the roads , so they pay more road use fees .

Last edited:

Azimuth

I have my Deuce insured with GEICO under a commercial policy, even though I don't use it commercially. No CO will insure it like it was a regular civilian vehicle. I think it is rated for commercial insurance because of the axles and the weight. At $670.00 p/year liability, it's the cheapest of my vehicles to insure. Are you asking for a collision policy? This seemed pointless to me, so I just have the FL PIP liability. Call GEICO and ask for the commercial policy division. The first GEICO helper I spoke to didn't know what to do, but the second guy did.

Never accept "no" from someone who is not authorized to say "yes".

steelandcanvas

I have my Deuce insured with GEICO under a commercial policy, even though I don't use it commercially. No CO will insure it like it was a regular civilian vehicle. I think it is rated for commercial insurance because of the axles and the weight. At $670.00 p/year liability, it's the cheapest of my vehicles to insure. Are you asking for a collision policy? This seemed pointless to me, so I just have the FL PIP liability. Call GEICO and ask for the commercial policy division. The first GEICO helper I spoke to didn't know what to do, but the second guy did. Never accept "no" from someone who is not authorized to say "yes".
There is a company in Bayonet Point Florida "Gulfway Insurers" that insures my Deuce as a collector vehicle. $198 a year. No garaging requirements. They wanted four corner shots of the vehicle, so they knew what they were insuring. It doesn't get any easier/cheaper than that.

randini

When I called Gulfway, I was told, "You cant drive it to home Depot". I dont haul much, but do go to the Lumber yard alot! Any one else hear this.

m816

I've had all my vehicles insured with Condon and Slelley here in NJ. I have been telling evey one I know to try them as well.Everyone I sent there said they were refused coverage. I called Condon/skelley today and spoke to a lady about that. I also told her I had purchased an newer 5 Ton M54 and intended to to use it to replace an older M54. I asked if there was going to be a problem. She told me I was still insured by them because of a "grandfather Clause" and that they would only take the new truck on a case by case basis. I'm gonna take a shot at them cause they have always given me cheap rates. I have five vehicles with them, all Historic plates and none comercial use. and there is a milage restriction. Having so many vehicles seems to dampen the miliage requirement and the spedometers are un reliable on most of the vehicles. Age has me using the Jeep more than anything else. I hope I don't have to break up the fleet insurance wise.

Scarecrow1

Take it for what it's worth but I have been told that MANY of the companies are in trouble for paying out so money that they are now only writing policies that will be a safe bet for them. As m816 said he was already a customer so he was safe those who were not won't be. I have a guy like I said working to find a policy that will serve me as well as the insurance company. It isn't as easy in some states as others S.C. isn't MV friendly. The one thing I will not do is lie to obtain a policy. Sure you get cheap insurance UNTIL something happens and then they will drop you and if you are in violation of the policy they won't pay either. So here comes the law suits that ambulance chasers dream of. Stay the course and you will find the right policy just don't screw up trying to short cut the process, If the policy states no home depot then don't use it for that purpose and all is good. Just stay legal and you won't regret it .........

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Insurance availability varies from state to state. The same national insurer in one state will not insure large MVs in another state. State Farm is a good example. Some out-of-state stuff clearly is available...ex: Gulfway, Hagerty, and maybe others. Your most cogent advice regarding Md insurance likely will come from other Marylanders. As you have already noted from this thread, there are a thousand stories, most of which are not relevant to your situation. When I was in AZ, Az Farm Bureau was the ticket; you might try Md Farm Bureau. In Az, they 'got' big trucks.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks