• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nobody wants to insure my deuce!

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyerhvac

Banned
Good luck getting them to pay up if you ever need them too. If your agent just made up some extra numbers for your vin it means she didnt do any research to find out exactly what she was writting up. With almost 100% certainty,when you need it, they will tell you "Oh we don't cover those".
You may be right. I thought it was pretty amazing how easy it was to insure because of all the stories I have read about. I provided the agent with every bit of information they asked for and did not hide anything from them.I am looking at my hard copy policy right now that legally binds them into contract with me, and according to them I am insured .It is a good idea to keep attorneys on retainer for a yearly fee, they seem to clear situations up a lot faster than one normally could, hence I do retain attorneys for yearly fee`s.

steelandcanvas

I would try J.C. TAYLOR, they have been good for me, I have 3 vehicles with them , my buddie 3 vehicles, no problem. :beer:
J.C. Taylor had good rates when I checked into them, however they would not insure anything if I towed my 105 behind the Deuce. They even made me sign a ststement showing them I understood this restriction. I then went to Gulfway.

69GTOby

I am glad someone brought up the out of state VA Antique plates, because that didn't really occur to me for some reason. I remember now getting the plates down in VA where we bought the truck. I actually have a lake house down there. The truck is primarily for here in MD, but at the time we just needed to slap some tags on it to drive it home to MD. We thought we could just call one of the big insurance agencies and add it to one of our policies, but of course that would be too easy.

So, I guess the first thing I need to do, is go down to the MVA and get proper tags for it. MD Commercial tags is it?

I will call Gulfway and a few local specialty insurance agencies on Monday. The problem with these guys is that I can't call them on the weekend or when I am home from work in the evening on the weekdays because they only operate during normal business hours, which is when I am busy. I might just take a day off from work and nail this thing down for good. I could probably knock it all out in one day.

I keep dreaming about the truck, literally, LOL! It is torture having it ready to drive and not being able to drive it! I love that heavy pile of junk hahaha

Reckless

My Deuce is insured through State Farm and had no trouble whatsoever. It probably also helps that my insurance ladies husband owns an M109 converted to a camper and they go camping in it, so she knew exactly what it was under and what to file it under. It's insured as a commercial vehicle for non commercial uses. I pay right at $38 a month when I'm actively driving it and when I know it'll sit for a few months she places it on "hold" so I only pay $10 a month to keep the policy going. Age shouldn't be a factor as I'm only 20.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will call Gulfway and a few local specialty insurance agencies on Monday. The problem with these guys is that I can't call them on the weekend or when I am home from work in the evening on the weekdays because they only operate during normal business hours, which is when I am busy. I might just take a day off from work and nail this thing down for good. I could probably knock it all out in one day.
I handle all my business with Gulfway via e-mail. It might take you a couple of days.......

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gulfway is the way to go. Carol is very nice and helpful. A couple of weeks ago I sent in the quote sheet to add my M929. I called a few days later to make sure they got the form. I left a message and Carol called me back and told me they had an audit going on and she was sorry for the delay. She gave me the numbers and told me to send the vin# and she would add it to my policy and email the insurance card. She did and it was quick and easy.

When you submit the Collector's Choice form, be sure to include pictures of the vehicle. I scan the form after I fill it out and make a PDF. Then I add the pictures to the PDF so it's all one file.

mich6212

J.C. Taylor had good rates when I checked into them, however they would not insure anything if I towed my 105 behind the Deuce. They even made me sign a ststement showing them I understood this restriction. I then went to Gulfway.
J.C. Taylor also has that whole garage kept issue to deal with, so that's not going to work for me. Just submitted my paperwork to Gulfway.

jmarkow

I live in Clayton Delaware and had jus a little trouble getting insurance. Geico had me get insurance as a commercial vehicle at 350 per year. That is just plain Jane insurance.

Dipstick

I went with Progressive commercial myself. None of the silly requirements or restrictions. After all, it's a Deuce not a Ferrari for G*dsakes!

welldigger

I went with Progressive commercial myself. None of the silly requirements or restrictions. After all, it's a Deuce not a Ferrari for G*dsakes!
Same here. I feel like some people fear a commercial policy. I pay 600 a year for 1mil in liability and have zero restrictions on what I can do with my truck.

69GTOby

I am in the works with an agency right now. They are a local insurance broker. I told them what I have and what I want to do with it. They said I will have trouble finding an agency to insure it unless I agree to all the restrictions - no off road use, utility, hauling, etc... They found me an agency called Grundy's located in Philadelphia, PA. They quoted me $76 a year, which is great, but with all the restrictions.

I really do not want any restrictions with this truck. I will try Geico, Progressive and State Farm again. I have tried them all at least once and they all couldn't or wouldn't help, even when they transferred me to their commercial department. I will just be persistent, I guess. This is extremely frustrating! I'll let you guys know how it goes!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
if you want to insure it in maryland with no restrictions, it is quite easy. put regular tags on it after you go thru state inspection. expect insurance to run $800 to $1000 a year. i did that with my unimog because it did not meet the age requirements.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Thank you. I need to get my M923 and M936A1 insured and titled. Both will get Historical plates because of reasons, but the garaging and no-off-roading requirements of other antique auto insurers won't work for me. I need to off-road just to get home, and garaging a pair of 5-tons is out of my price range. I just want liability insurance for them anyway.

69GTOby

Just called Geico. They wanted 2100$ for a year, a little less than the last quote the gave me which was 2600 or so. Way too much! That's almost as much as I paid for the darn thing. I guess my age and record have an effect on that, but an approximate 1500$ difference compared to what most people pay is just ridiculous. Oh well, I will try some others today.

welldigger

The three worst trucks to try to insure for reasonable prices:
1. Dump truck
2. Tow truck
3. Truck tractor
Wrong.....water well drilling rig. You wanna talk about your insurance company calling over and over asking stupid question after stupid question.

I found with my rig and deuce...it helps to have pictures...lots of pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks