• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noise from generator pulley?? Free spins on shutdown.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm posting link to video.

HMMWV Generator Pulley Noise

On start up no noise. Generator pulley spins and generator charges batteries fine.

On shutdown it makes noise and inner part of pulley/nut free spins for a few seconds and then stops.

This can't be normal?!?! How do I fix this??

Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It has a sprag clutch in it to keep the torque from the spinning alt from causing the belt to squeal when the engine suddenly stops, sounds like it needs some lubrication.
Otherwise yes that is normal for that type of pulley, not all alternators have that type of pulley.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You also need to replace that fuel line on the fan clutch (and any others in the power steering system), fuel hose does not have the temperature/pressure rating for that job, you should be using power steering return line, saving money here is not a good idea.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You also need to replace that fuel line on the fan clutch (and any others in the power steering system), fuel hose does not have the temperature/pressure rating for that job, you should be using power steering return line, saving money here is not a good idea.
Wow. Thanks for picking up on that. I'm going through the truck bits at a time. Didn't pick up on that and it explains a leak I noticed coming from connection at fan shroud.

Has anyone used AN connectors at these locations? Or is worm gear clamp adequate??

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems worm clamps are good enough, the hose on the inside of the fan shroud uses AN fittings (is not 3/8 hose ether)
Not sure about the nuts, consulting the TM should give an answer, others may also have the answer.

papakb

I installed hoses with AN fittings on them on all of my fan clutch lines and will never go back to hose clamped lines again. There's a very valid reason they use them on aircraft and those same reasons apply to vehicles. The reason manufacturers don't use them is for cost savings but it's cheap insurance when you think about it.

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed hoses with AN fittings on them on all of my fan clutch lines and will never go back to hose clamped lines again. There's a very valid reason they use them on aircraft and those same reasons apply to vehicles. The reason manufacturers don't use them is for cost savings but it's cheap insurance when you think about it.
You wouldn't happen to know the fittings you used, ie sizes?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steven what are your thoughts on the noise? Just lubricate at interface?

Is it possible it’s too tight or too loose?

Don’t understand how that goes together as the TMs I’m looking at show simple single but and key.
the noise is normal and it’s working as designed

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes. And had I know what I know now I would have had you do it lol!

I’m happy overall right now but lots of things done poorly and have been slowly going through it. In the end paying for it again. For anyone reading this getting it done right.
so you have a converted M998A1…that makes sense now.
You need A2 and above TM’s

nikojo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've tried oiling/greasing the bearing/clutch but can't make it go quiet.

If everyone says this noise is normal than so be it but it makes me anxious everytime as I associate this with a bad bearing or something borken.

I was able to switch out the line and it was perfect. No more leak and much more secure.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've tried oiling/greasing the bearing/clutch but can't make it go quiet.

If everyone says this noise is normal than so be it but it makes me anxious everytime as I associate this with a bad bearing or something borken.

I was able to switch out the line and it was perfect. No more leak and much more secure.
You were told Jan 9th that its normal.
Also...if bearing ever froze up...it would be a non-clutch pully and still work like the early non-clutch ones..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks