• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noise in 5th gear

CIBS 70

Hey guys, I noticed the other day driving when I go into 5th gear I hear a noise and I can feel it in the shifter.If I push the clutch in it goes away when I let out it comes back. The strange thing it won't do it in any other gear.clutch looks ok and fluid is full in trans. Please help!!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Broken 5th gear teeth.

Open it up and look inside.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I was quick with my reply, because I've read more than one report of this issue(and it is usually a chipped or broken tooth on 5th).

If your lucky, the repair won't even require the transmission removed.

Last edited:

katz4

Mine dies that too. Although it does not in low range. It sounds almost harmonic noise traveling in nature, sort of a rattle also, only in 5th. though. Got me stumped. Shifts good.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you guys checked/tightened your short drive shaft(between the trans and t case) bolts lately? They are notorious for coming loose and producing an harmonic vibration.

CIBS 70

I ll check those bolts tomorrow. Hey dog head if those bolts are tight and if I do have a chipped gear how long can I run her. I don't go on long hauls or pull anything. Again thanks for all the help.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard to say.

Pulling the floor panel and top if the transmission takes about 15 minutes. No need to drain the oil either.

I'd just have a look to know.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They do tend to whine in 5th gear. I've had mine apart before, and everything looked fine. Other truck doesn't whine.

What kind of noise is it? Pulling the top of the transmission off isn't hard.

You can tighten the driveshaft bolts from underneath. I've started to use locktite on them, had one come loose on me.

And like DH says, you may not need to pull transmission, you can pull the mainshaft out with the tranny in truck. Just be sure you get all the needle bearings back that drop out of the input shaft. (think there are 14)

gungearz

Anyone consider clutch chatter? I baby my deuce but beat the heck out of my work truck and I get that chatter all the time. They adjust the clutch and it goes away for a couple of weeks. 2 clutches a year in that truck is what I go thru. If I'm lucky, they'll do it once a year.

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I picked up my A2 at Ft Indiantown Gap back in 2009, I drove it back to North Georgia. It whined in 5th gear, a little louder when I let up on the accelerator. I figured that if it made that long trip, there was likely nothing to worry about - - wrong! Shortly afterwards when a few miles from home, I shelled teeth and completely lost 5th gear and damaged other gears, barely making it home. I swapped out the transmission.