• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noise levels in cab after installing DynaMat

pmramsey

For those considering doing this there is a cheaper version of the dynamat material on amazon https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B00URUIKAK/

A friend of mine used it in his bronco and he's happy with it.
I have used this stuff on my CUCV, the M35, and the M54. It works exceptionally well. Easy to cut and work and really lasts. After cleaning the floors, painting with epoxy and spraying with Eastern's rust hogging rubberized undercoat, I apply NOICO matting. Less expensive but heavy to ship. I top everything with NECO 1/2 inch closed cell mat with vinyl type material attached.

20160603_152246_resized_1.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

502NDMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used both the Lizard Skins, the soundproofing and thermal protection after I stripped out the cab. I then used Dynamat on the firewall inside and custom cut stall mats from Tractor Supply for the floor area. I used a table saw to cut up the mats, that seemed to work well and was able to make bevel cuts around the tunnels etc. I have a hard top, which was insulated, enclosed with sheet metal. The entire crew cab was insulated and enclosed in the same manner, everything was sprayed with both Lizards skins. I also closed up the steering column area and to keep the heat out, installed boots over the shifters. I also installed a Donaldson muffler to cut the noise down. I also sprayed the Lizard Skins on the underside of hood and install thick engine compartment mat. I don't have a meter, but it is soooooo much quieter, well worth the effort. The windows seem to be the biggest weak spot left.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beautiful job - I have worked with that stuff and it is not easy to get it done as perfectly as you have.

But you must admit the appearance is reminiscent of what Hugh Hefner's pajamas probably look like. ;)
I knew I have seen that look before!! Needs some pink though!

Eliteweapons

I don't know if anyone else has tried the Jones Turbine - Aero turbine mufflers, but I installed a resonated one on mine and I like the sound note and it is quiet as well. Yes I did put the guard back on and I don't think my welds turned out too bad for my first time using my new Tig welder.
2016-07-18_14.32.17.jpg2016-07-20 06.17.08.jpg

brianp454

I installed the 3535XL a couple years ago. Is it the same muffler? I'd like to hear good audio of the cat 3116 through the same muffler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3jLZ6WCXo4

I don't know if anyone else has tried the Jones Turbine - Aero turbine mufflers, but I installed a resonated one on mine and I like the sound note and it is quiet as well. Yes I did put the guard back on and I don't think my welds turned out too bad for my first time using my new Tig welder.
View attachment 649994View attachment 649995

Clay James

I am working on sound deadening too. This dynamat equivalent material first followed by closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl. I will also work on the hood and side panels since they vibrate so much. DSC02492.jpg