• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noise reduction: soft-vs-hard tops

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jim-m35a2 said:
It doesn't matter what type of top you have. Be it a hardtop, softtop or windshield down, when it rains you will get the same amout of water in your face. :(
rofl

I was just going to post that!

I prefer the soft top. Earplugs/earmuffs reduce the noise to a tolerable level.

There is something great about being able to think: Nice day... top is coming off! (and not have to call 3 friends...

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Try a whistler turbo like my truck Kyle LOL

My Duece back in CO had the noise reduction lining with the soft top, my wife notices the differance when she rides vs the new one.

L1A1

Guys
Thanks for all the replies to my inquiry. There's some good advice given in regard to wearing hearing protection while operating one of these beasts. Armyman30yearsplus, You changed your avatar? I didn't recongnise you, at first :wink: .
Regards,
Matt

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
randyscycle said:
If you have a whistler, it won't matter what you do short of earplugs.......
AMEN to that brother. I just picked up two whistlers yesterday. My ears are still ringing. (forgot the earplugs :( )

saddamsnightmare

September 18th, 2008.

I'm not too sure about the noise reduction.... My hard top has what lloks like 1/4-3/8 masonite or cork glued to the top and sides, doesn't do hoot for sound reduction, and not much for insulation (better then bare metal, barely....), but the GMA soft top has what I take to be insulation attached in black nylon mesh to the inside of the top.... it might be sound reduction too, but it really cuts the heat in the cab. Take the top off and the noise level becomes comparable to some older locomotives I used to run..... The normally aspirated LDS465's only bark when they're straining, otherwise its a loud rumble (and ear protectors are essential).... but they are good at drownding out civillian pickup diesels on accelleration! The Army dropped the ball in three aspects on the deuce.... 1. no cab heat (stock), 2. no deafening (other then of the driver and co-driver), 3. some of the drive train parts can be a real pain to get to (but then Mercedes Benz really did it on the Unimog in this regards),
otherwise, the trucks will be around long after the Army's later FMTV's are scrapped....
rofl

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm & Vietnam Veteran truck
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 Cargo Trailer
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S.404.114
1967 Hercules MEP023A Gas Gen-Set APU

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks