• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noisy axles at LMTV

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found my fronts low...rears were new looking GO. I have drained all of them and will refill...but to where? 4 o'clock position? Looks like they were filled at the 2 or 3

InMemoryofRex

After switching to the high speed gears, I tried to re-fill the planetary gears.
It worked on 5 out of 6 hubs and on the last one (its always the last one #$%^&), the hex just stripped.
Looks like I am going to have to drill it out.
So in preparation, I went to the local truck supply places and it is a metric thread.
Does anyone have a source for these magnetic drain plugs?
Thanks in advance!

radbad

After switching to the high speed gears, I tried to re-fill the planetary gears.
It worked on 5 out of 6 hubs and on the last one (its always the last one #$%^&), the hex just stripped.
Looks like I am going to have to drill it out.
So in preparation, I went to the local truck supply places and it is a metric thread.
Does anyone have a source for these magnetic drain plugs?
Thanks in advance!
Same thing happened to me. I ordered the plugs locally from Freedom Truck and Trailer in Salt Lake 801 961-8332. I'm sure they'd love to see you some as they came in a box of 10 or 12 and I only bought one.

From the Parts List, it's PN: 1850T 124. I think that directly translated to a Meritor PN.

radbad

NDT,

What noise is this? I've got a growling noise above 35. Been searching for a while for a solution. It happens more when I'm off the throttle than it does on the throttle. Is this axle noise mild, or would it fill the cab with a growling noise?

QUOTE=NDT;1772663]Oh yes. This problem is caused by using the incorrect shims in the wheel end spider gear setup. See this thread for links to the correct method to set up (youtube). The sound is caused by the outer bevel gear flopping around.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...LMTV-planetary-hub-setup&highlight=lmtv+axles[/QUOTE]

InMemoryofRex

Thank you very much!!!!!
$ 4 / piece and reasonable shipping price.
NSN INFORMATION 4730-01-391-0769 Meritor / Axletech 1850T124, Oshkosh 29KP486
Alternate Distributors: Palmer Johnson http://www.pjpower.com/ and General Truck http://www.generaltruckparts.com/
If you need 25 or more, you can go directly to Axletech, they are $ 2.13 / ea there.

To prevent these getting rusty and chewed up in the future, I will probably put something in the hex hole to keep the corrosion out.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Rebuilder

NDT,

What noise is this? I've got a growling noise above 35. Been searching for a while for a solution. It happens more when I'm off the throttle than it does on the throttle. Is this axle noise mild, or would it fill the cab with a growling noise?
I'm curious about this too because I'm not sure what sounds are normal. Mine makes a droning/growning noise when coasting and decelerating. It isn't alarmingly loud but it definitely seems like it's coming from the planetaries. Oil levels are correct and clean. The Michelin's are noisy too but that's a little different.

f8617

...Bottom line, the bearings and wheel end spider gears are lubed by gear oil only. If you applied grease to the bearings, the grease would get washed out.
FWIW -- although this reply is late to original discussion, it might prove useful...on my M1078 LMTV, the CTIS air seals prevent gear oil from reaching the inner hub bearing...so you'd better give it ample grease.
IMG_2394.jpg

samsneed

Aloha all,
My 1078 was having a grinding noise while coasting, I've pulled the front drive shaft thinking it might be the u joints, I drove around in 4x4 without the front drive shaft and the noise seems to be gone. I've read a lot about the front hubs being noisy due to shimming being incorrect, is it possible that the noise will return once I replace the u joints? Keeping my fingers crossed the hubs are ok, I've got a long wait for the replacement parts and the lash adjustment is beyond my skill set. Anyone in Hawaii reading this who has the skills to fix it, I'll gladly pay for the help!

Waltjg

Aloha all,
My 1078 was having a grinding noise while coasting, I've pulled the front drive shaft thinking it might be the u joints, I drove around in 4x4 without the front drive shaft and the noise seems to be gone. I've read a lot about the front hubs being noisy due to shimming being incorrect, is it possible that the noise will return once I replace the u joints? Keeping my fingers crossed the hubs are ok, I've got a long wait for the replacement parts and the lash adjustment is beyond my skill set. Anyone in Hawaii reading this who has the skills to fix it, I'll gladly pay for the help!
How did this turn out? Did you resolve the noise??

scottmandu

I've found that trucks with higher miles tend to have quieter axles likely because the gears have worn in and the shims have been adjusted as part of regular maintenance.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you have something to say?
Believe he did an edit and asked his question on the geared hub thread started by Steve 6x6x6.
To add if you have a gear noise that does not happen on full throttle or complete let off of throttle but when you come to half throttle check your drive line. Might be out of phase as mine was. I corrected it and no noise now.
Thanks to member Kodyman for pointing it out on Steve's thread. Hope who ever got mine screwed up gets a bad case of crotch itch.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks