• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non Isolated Ground Alternator

DooDooBrown

I have a M1008 that has two dead alternators and a dead starter. I have a 12v starter from another build. I don't want to discuss the whole pros and cons of converting, but I am going to convert this truck to 12v.

Can I use a non isolated ground alternator for the passenger side alternator? I assume yes, just spot checking to see if I'm missing anything.

Thanks!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuild alternators and buy new starter.

Once you convert, help here with issues and the TMs will be slim to none.

Never understood why guys convert when stock system works very well.

Good luck.

MarcusOReallyus

If you convert, the isolated ground is no longer relevant. If you do this, I suggest you follow the Roscommon method, as this will at least allow for some standard against which to troubleshoot.

Jeeperjoe

Yes, yes you can, follow roscommon method as suggested you should have no issues. but please make sure you hook up your batteries correctly if you convert

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you convert it to 12 volts, I would just run one alternator. Unless you have a big electrical load and need the extra amp capacity, there's no point in wearing out two alternators at the same time.

85CUCVtom

If you convert it to 12 volts, I would just run one alternator. Unless you have a big electrical load and need the extra amp capacity, there's no point in wearing out two alternators at the same time.
This is the way my M1009 was set-up when I got it. I fixed a few issues and it's still running great on one alternator. I do plan on going back to the factory set-up though.

I did. Follow the advice here. I later added back to two 12v Alts, but still on a 12v system.
If I ever get a winch, power inverter, etc, I'm set.
IIRC, all your pink w/ black stripe wires were 24v, and will become 12v. Not important now, but good to know.
Save your switching relay, good to have on hand for projects. You can use it to create a power feed for only when the key is on. I run a small fuse box for accessories that way. Use that heavy pink and black wire, it has its own fuse.
Oh, btw, VERY IMPORTANT, find the starter brace you will need for that starter, and use it!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks