• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non Standard Motor Mounts movong the engine forward?

Jozseph

Non Standard Motor Mounts Moving the Engine Forward?

I recall reading a posting, that said using motor mount from a Chevy Van would move the motor forward around an 1 1/2" and a bit higher.

I did review the following posting;

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?127329-Turbo-cross-over-pipe

Anyone have actual experience and or know detail if this is possible, moving the engine forward and up?

Thank You

Joseph

Last edited:

Ilikemtb999

Is this to fit a crossover for a turbo? It can be easily done to where it doesn't contact anything and and is tucked up. Mine goes just under the torque converter inspection cover.

richingalveston

I am also trying to figure out what the benefit to doing this would be.
I don't think it is necessary for a turbo add.
what it will do is: raise the center of gravity on the truck, shorten the front driveshaft, increase the angle on the front drive shaft, lengthen the rear drive shaft and decrease the rear shaft angle.

I have the ORD cross member and motor mounts and just getting rid of the stock cross member free's up a lot of space.
Please let me know if I am missing something. I am curious to what it would help on the truck and if can it apply to my truck.

I would rather find mounts that raise the engine an inch or two. Better exhaust clearance for a turbo. 3 inches body lift and 2 for the engine would be a huge help. I had to notch my frame, grind on a manifold, and alter a frame brace.

richingalveston

if your raise the motor that much you are going to kill your front driveline angle, you cannot raise the back more than 1/2 inch, thus you tilt the t-case more to the back.

If you plan on only a motor lift and body lift with no suspension lift you may be able to make it work, but the front drive line angle is the one that is normally your biggest problem and raising the front of the motor will only make it worse.

I have the 4l80e and moving things back 1.5 inches helps the front drive shaft and does very little to the rear. I have 5 inches of lift and I raised the back of the t-case 1/2 inch (that's all you can do). I also clocked my t-case up about 1 inch. So effectively my front drive shaft is 1.5 inches longer and acts like it has a 6 inch lift kit. I had to clearance the front cv joint slightly because it was binding.

you are better off moving things back by 1.5 inches than you are raising the engine. Moving it back actually helps, raising the engine does not

just my experience, you may have different results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks