• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

non-stretch recovery rope?

Guruman

Not so new member
Well. I managed to do it... and I broke my 40k bubba rope trying to pull stumps with my LMTV. It went off like a gunshot.

I think I can re-splice a loop on the end and only lose a few feet of overall length. But... I'm now looking for something similar that does not stretch.

Does anyone make a seriously beefy tug/pull/recovery rope that does not stretch and store energy? All my searches get filled with search engine spam trying to sell me a "kinetic" rope.

Ronmar

Yea, it’s called a chain…:)

The problem with synthetics is once you stressed it to breaking point, you stressed every fiber in that line to the same point, so it probably will break a lot easier next time. Just like in climbing, once y9u fallinto a line or a harness, it gets decommissioned…

don’t have any recomendations on a replacement synthetic…

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well. I managed to do it... and I broke my 40k bubba rope trying to pull stumps with my LMTV. It went off like a gunshot.

I think I can re-splice a loop on the end and only lose a few feet of overall length. But... I'm now looking for something similar that does not stretch.

Does anyone make a seriously beefy tug/pull/recovery rope that does not stretch and store energy? All my searches get filled with search engine spam trying to sell me a "kinetic" rope.
Parachute straps.

I use chains but most people can't lug around a 30ft 3/4" grade 100 chain

Attachments

Guruman

Not so new member

The problem with synthetics is once you stressed it to breaking point, you stressed every fiber in that line to the same point, so it probably will break a lot easier next time. Just like in climbing, once y9u fallinto a line or a harness, it gets decommissioned…

I don't have warm fuzzy feelings about chains. I don't know how big the chain would need to be to do what I was doing and not break. How much would a chain rated for 40k pounds weigh if it were 30 feet long? Too much. I'd need another truck to haul my chain around..... ;-)

I broke 2 chains a couple of weeks back when the storm blew down these trees, and that was just removing the trunks. I pulled out 6 or 7 ash stumps before tying on to one that killed the rope (spinning the aired-down tires in "mode", then backing up and yanking a few times). None of the chains I've ever had would do that. The two I broke recently did so in "mode" at idle.

I need to get this winch working.....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I think the one I broke was 1/2 inch coil and 15 or 20 feet long.

My dad used to have some old chains we used on the ranch as kids. We were always using them with tractors and they were tough as heck. He always called them "sweet iron" chains.
Take a hammer lock and put 2 of these together

Grade 100 3/4" chain is rated at 35k

@Csm Davis may have some m88 chains

Attachments

Ronmar

I don't have warm fuzzy feelings about chains. I don't know how big the chain would need to be to do what I was doing and not break. How much would a chain rated for 40k pounds weigh if it were 30 feet long? Too much. I'd need another truck to haul my chain around..... ;-)

I broke 2 chains a couple of weeks back when the storm blew down these trees, and that was just removing the trunks. I pulled out 6 or 7 ash stumps before tying on to one that killed the rope (spinning the aired-down tires in "mode", then backing up and yanking a few times). None of the chains I've ever had would do that. The two I broke recently did so in "mode" at idle.

1/2” grade 80 chain is typically rated 40-48K breaking strength, depending on who is rating it. 2.5# per foot, so 30’ = 75#?

Green Mountain Boys

20220811_211448[1].jpg
20220811_211826[1].jpg

https://www.westechrigging.com/wire-rope-swg-galv-058.html

50 feet of Super Swaged 5/8" 6/26 cable with spliced thimbles is my friend.
Breaking strength is 54,000lbs.
If that is not enough you could get 3/4"

Ronmar is correct, synthetic line should be taken out of service after severe stress. OSHA regulation: Safe working load for synthetics is 10% of breaking strength for aerial work. 5,000 lb minimum breaking strength for synthetic climbing line.

There is a big difference in stretch of synthetic rope depending on if the rope is static line (low stretch) or dynamic line (more stretch). The vehicle recovery ropes are going to be dynamic lines. You have to be careful applying dynamic loads to synthetic static lines.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes you need to use a chain or cable for stumps.

Mark

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Not chain, but called a lifting sling. I have some 30’ rated at 40,000lb vertical. UploadFile1660270995.819713.jpg
I don’t remember the safety factor, but likely x5-7, so around 200,000lb breaking strength. I also have 1/2” grade 100 chain but IIRC chain is only proofed to around 200%, so about 30,000lb. The 5 ton with about 10 ton on it’s back will make short work of an 11,000lb lifting sling,UploadFile1660271220.807401.jpg
or like a wise man @74M35A2 used to say “rip the uterus out of it”… not shock loading either.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The nice thing about a chain is if you manage to break it it just falls to the ground and not come flying at you.

ToddJK

The nice thing about a chain is if you manage to break it it just falls to the ground and not come flying at you.
No offense, but I will beg to differ. Depending on how that chain is tugged on, it can break in multiple spots, sending some length of chain flying in the distance. I've seen it happen to my dad with a logging chain pulling out a stump with Chevy pick up. This especially true for chain types that are under rated for the task or the load strength is unknown. As with anything, when pulling with lots of force, it's just safer to stay clear and have plenty of space or steel between the operator and the pulling aperatus.

ToddJK

There's things to consider when using a recovery strap. Age, condition, and the method of storage. With anything, you can find the biggest, baddest recovery apparatus out there, but it costs $$. Chains work if they are more or rated higher than you can expect to put on to it, if those break, it's a hit or a miss if anything goes flying. Same with wire cable or winch cable. When they break, one end of it will whip into something, there's plenty accounts of that happening. That's why I always use a decent recovery strap. My old one I bought from a towing and recovery shop years ago, was rated at 60k# non stretch. Was told that it was used for recovering big rigs. I ripped my rear bumper right out of the frame along with the trailer hitch on my old Jeep Cherokee pulling on it, that strap refused to break. 10 years later it finally snapped on an eight foot bush and whipped into the tailgate of my pick up, but no damage. If you get a good strap for $1-$200, it'll last but it needs to be stored out of the sun, dried when it gets wet, stuff like that. I didn't do that and that's why mine eventually failed on a fricken bush, lol.
Obviously if you're using your MV like a 5 ton or deuce to pull, no big deal, unless from the front, but if using chain, wire cable, ect, just be safe and put a counter weight of some kind on it so if it does snap, less likely to go flying into your face and on the ground. I've seen some great suggestions and I may have my own opinions on what I would use, but if anything, I'll express my concerns over the safety factor and whatever you use, safety first!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Parachute straps.

I use chains but most people can't lug around a 30ft 3/4" grade 100 chain
I did not know those where parachute straps. I have many in different lengths and not one problem pulling vehicles, stumps, or fence posts. For the price very reasonable as there was flood on ebay several years ago of them. And for ole people like me, much lighter than chains.......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks