• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non turbo engine converted to whistler, safe egt and boost?

Cummins_12v

Hello, bought a new deuce today. The last owner converted it to a whistler turbo. It smokes nothing as it is now, and not much more power vs my old cranckedup(heavy blacksmoke) non turbo.
I dont have egt gauge yet. But i have a boost gauge in my garage that i propably can install tomorow.

Where to connect/drill to the boostpressure?

How much can i safely turn up the pump with only the boostgauge?

I want to drive safe, witout blown headgasket etc. It a non turbo block.

rlwm211

I would ask the previous owner if he reset the timing for the turbo.

That would lead to power problems if it were not set properly.

Anywhere post turbo is ok for the Boost gauge.

RL

Cummins_12v

Timing is stock non turbo , but thats just fine. When turning up the cumminsengine i have, timing is also advanced. Where is the best place to drill? And do you drill whith engine not running, and use grease or what?

rlwm211

Boost is mearured on the intake side. Pull the big tube that runs to the intake from the turbo and drill and tap it and then clean it up and put it back on.

EGT is in the exhaust stream You can go in the manifold, or else after the turbo. I did a study on the differences in temperatures and there is a predictable drop accross the turbo. 100 F is average.

RL

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Or, use the pipe plug on the intake 90 degree elbow(where the ether start kit connects).

To be safe(with only a boost gauge) keep it under12-14 psi boost.

Cummins_12v

Thanks guys, so 12-14 psi is 100% safe to not get a meltdown, and not a blown headgasket?

The headgadket on non turbo are weaker the td blocks ?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want me to say your 100% safe, I'll tell to to stay below 10psi.

Remember, if you increase your load, everything will change.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what you're asking. Do you have a TD block? Do you have the "old style" head gaskets or the "new style" gaskets? Old ones have a visible "weep" tab , on the passenger side.

Cummins_12v

What is wheep tab? Its a m621 1968 model. Delivered to the Norwegian army, single wheels, lockers etc. Its not a td block, and the turbosetup is taken from a m35a2. thats why im wondering if this block have a weaker head gasket?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you do an Advanced search, in the Deuce forum, for "head gasket", there are a bunch of good threads.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks guys, so 12-14 psi is 100% safe to not get a meltdown, and not a blown headgasket?

The headgadket on non turbo are weaker the td blocks ?
Just to let you know, some non-turbo trucks have TD blocks. That casting means they are thick deck blocks. Not sure what got more material, but something did.

The gaskets WERE all the same with fire rings not attached to the gasket untill the new style victor reinz came out. It has nothing to do with the turbo/non-turbo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks