• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non turbo header and stack

Colonel Smash

Here is the finished header I talked about building a year ago. Some people said, "Why not put a turbo on it." Well, basically I wanted to do something outside the norm. So I built an entire header and stack from scratch. It is a 2" primary pipe into a 3" Y into a 4" down pipe to a 4" straight stack. No muffler. I had to cut the old manifold off because it was so corroded.

The first two pictures are of the collector and the custom 4" bend.
Collector.jpgBend2.jpgThe next ones are of the the mounting flange and the top view of the individual aluminum intake runners and the custom water pipe I had to fabricate when I ditched the old intake.Flange.jpgIntake.jpgThe last pics are of the header right before paint and install and the truck how it sits now with the 4" stack and also custom fabbed front bumper.Header2.jpgColonel.jpg

Last edited:

ducer

What about performance gains or losses? With individual runners for the intake I fear you maybe giving up some horsepower due to the loss of the ramair effect. Individual runners never perform as well as multiple runners do unless the engine is singing at a super high rpm (9,000 plus).

Denny

Colonel Smash

I don't know what it makes for horsepower. I wish I did. I think it gained a good bit of torque because it goes up hills faster now.

It smokes like an old time freight train, but I like that.

Heath_h49008

Didn't we have a thread here where some guy said he had a header/intake for the LDT that made insane power? I just searched and found nothing.

(Not trying to threadjack, trying to relate one to the other)

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Videos of how it sounds can be found on the website where videos are found. Type in Deuce and a Half with a Header.
Please feel free to share youtube links. Actually if you use the http address it will embed automatically. (Standard ones)

Colonel Smash

I'm not sure. I tried researching it before I started the project and didn't find any info. In my experience it doesn't make insane power, but enough that it was worth doing.

Heath_h49008

Don't get me wrong, I love the sound on your vid. I caught it yesterday on my daily "M35A2/Deuce and a half" Youtube search.

There was some guy on here who was trying to sell a header and an intake that he said made something like 350hp on a stock LDT. I'll keep looking for it if nobody else beats me to it.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
350hp I find hard to believe, Its fun makeing stuff but the intake looks like you might have trouble when it rains or you go to fast fording?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have always thought a header would be cool on a gasser deuce (GM 302 engine) and a custom intake you could mount a four barrel carb on. I think I remember there being a lot of aftermarket parts for the GMC. Hummm...goggle is my friend:The 302 GMC inline six was produced from 1952 to 1960 and is a 4" bore and 4" stroke engine. It was used in military 2.5 ton trucks with the HydraMatic transmission, however that engine was a sealed engine for snorkle/submersion use, had an electric fuel pump, and other features such as a deep sump oil pan. From 1952-1959, GMC manufactured the civilian 302 engine which was not sealed, had a mechanical fuel pump, and used a "standard" oil pan. This engine is popular with hotrod enthusiasts because it delivers tremendous power for an inline six engine, is truck built with a heavy cast block, and can take quite a bit of abuse.