• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non turbo header and stack

JasonS

I have always thought a header would be cool on a gasser deuce (GM 302 engine) and a custom intake you could mount a four barrel carb on. I think I remember there being a lot of aftermarket parts for the GMC. Hummm...goggle is my friend:The 302 GMC inline six was produced from 1952 to 1960 and is a 4" bore and 4" stroke engine. It was used in military 2.5 ton trucks with the HydraMatic transmission, however that engine was a sealed engine for snorkle/submersion use, had an electric fuel pump, and other features such as a deep sump oil pan. From 1952-1959, GMC manufactured the civilian 302 engine which was not sealed, had a mechanical fuel pump, and used a "standard" oil pan. This engine is popular with hotrod enthusiasts because it delivers tremendous power for an inline six engine, is truck built with a heavy cast block, and can take quite a bit of abuse.
BTDT. Won't get much out of a bolt-on deal. Need internal engine mods to enable the increased rpm necessary to get full advantage. Back in the day (based on published dyno results in Bill Fisher's GMC Speed Manual), an all out racing engine with a stock reworked head produced 215 to 236 horsepower; 258 to 285 horsepower with a 12-port head. Hardly seems "tremendous".

If you really want horsepower out a an inline six gas engine, the vortec 4200 is light years ahead even with stock parts.

welldigger

I can't remember all of the details... head work might have been involved.
Are you referring to the thread rebelcummins posted? He never got to building the new intake manifold. He did build a different intake leading up to the manifold. But for the most part he just turned the fuel up. There were a few other things he claimed he did but he hasn't posted on his thread in a long while due to health and personal issues.

welldigger

I thought that it involved head modifications?
Ya the thread in the classifieds involved trading in your heads for "improved" heads and a few other parts. If I remember correctly wasn't he asking 3k or more for the parts? He claimed 300+ HP. Thats a lot of cash for no proof of benefit.

JasonS

Ya the thread in the classifieds involved trading in your heads for "improved" heads and a few other parts. If I remember correctly wasn't he asking 3k or more for the parts? He claimed 300+ HP. Thats a lot of cash for no proof of benefit.
I thought he said it was dyno'd?

welldigger

I thought he said it was dyno'd?
He may have. Couldn't remember. 3k is still pretty steep.

I know he wanted you to send your heads in. Was he doing an exchange or was he doing the work to your heads?

I wonder if he was doing anything more than port and polishing the heads?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
$3K? No thanks. I'll buy a Dodge with a 5.9 cummins 12v in it for $2000, scrap the truck and sell the MF stuff. Buy a HE351 turbo from a later model cummins, toss in a set of valve springs and injectors and crank the pump and make more power than that for less. Oh and a 12v p-pump cummins will just about run on the same stuff the MF will. (Waste oils)

Colonel Smash

Honestly if only gained 5hp I would be happy. This project wasn't meant to set any records or peak any dynos, it was just to be loud and blow copious amounts of smoke in the air. And it does do that!!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Honestly if only gained 5hp I would be happy. This project wasn't meant to set any records or peak any dynos, it was just to be loud and blow copious amounts of smoke in the air. And it does do that!!
Sorry I didn't mean my comment to belittle your effort in this case. I was referring to this magical 300hp head improvement service that costs $3000.

Colonel Smash

I wasn't offended. I understand you're talking about a whole different threat, I just wanted people to know that I wasn't trying to duplicate some impossible power number. Im just having some fun and behind different. Thanks.

welldigger

I wasn't offended. I understand you're talking about a whole different threat, I just wanted people to know that I wasn't trying to duplicate some impossible power number. Im just having some fun and behind different. Thanks.
I apologize for the thread hijack. What you created is awesome in my book. Just the cool factor is worth it. I love custom work. Details like a header are what make custom trucks different from the sea of stock deuces out there. Including my truck at the present moment.