• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non-turbo to turbo conversion?

Banshee365

Hey guy's. Local MV expert I know has a nice M35 w/W, and all for sale fora nice price. But it is a non-turbo. How hard is it to convert it to a turbo engine? He has a few engines in his yard with turbos and he said we can get the parts together. What is the differance between the two? Thanks alot.

-Kelly

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ocala eh? Another neighbor. If you have access to the parts its a very straightforward conversion. Pump timing is supposed to be adjusted but I've done a couple without timing the pump and they worked great. Hardest part I had was getting that dang pipe plug out of the block where the oil return nipple goes. I've got a socket for it now. There is an article going back a bit, on the conversion. Article was authored by our very own Cranetruck.

Banshee365

He said we'll grab everything we need for the conversion for $300 out of his yard. How hard is the pump to adjust? Would it be easier to just swap pumps from the turbo engine? He has engines that have warped heads and bad rods but the turbos are good. The difficult part I think is going to be getting all the exhaust pieces. How hard are the lower pipes that alway's rust out to come by?

-Kelly

TacticalTruck

It's waaay easier to turn the fuel up. There is no difference in the pumps.
Exhaust is out there if you look hard and if you have deep pockets, you can buy a new stainless system.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with Junk Yard Wars Crusher here on the site. He had a line on some NOS clean air kits which is basically everything on the exhaust side of the turbo.

Lax

What is the differnce

What is the difference in preformance in a turbo and a non-turbo other then how loud they are? I'm still trying to figure that one out. :?

I know a turbo is cool but bottom line is does it add a lot to preformance? Thanks guys. :wink:

Adamlee

What is the differnce

Lax said:
What is the difference in preformance in a turbo and a non-turbo other then how loud they are? I'm still trying to figure that one out. :?

I know a turbo is cool but bottom line is does it add a lot to preformance? Thanks guys. :wink:
what is it, like 4 or 6 hp?

and the cool additional noise and whine....

I have to admit, I like your 'nam-style M35A2 with side pipes and non-turbo for ultra-quiet behavior, Jeff.....

Attachments

Banshee365

Going to go through the truck with a fine toothed comb and make sure the winch and all is working before I make the final decision. For the turbo conversion, would it be best to change the timing or just leave it how it is? If I leave it how it is what should I be careful of?

If I end up getting the truck I won't leave his property until we finish the conversion and it's running good. When I get it home I'd really like to get to maint. stuff that hasn't been done in years. I might post another thread asking some things to look for and keep this thread on topic. Right now I'm just really looking at if I need to change the timing. If it's necessary I can read the TM and try and do it myself. Thanks for the help.

-Kelly