• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Non-Turbo to turbo

SEAFIRE

We finally put a turbo on our non-turbo 1968 M35W/W. We mainly installed the turbo to cut down on the smoke as we had been getting a lot of complaints.

It took 5 hours, we have a spare engine in our fire station we took the turbo hardware parts off of, including the "D" turbo it had.

Question: it smokes less than before, but it still smokes more than our other 1968 M35A2 that has a "C" turbo. Both trucks have had the exhaust re-routed with 3.5" on both to a straight-thru muffler, the non-turbo does not have the smaller exhaust pipe anymore.

One of my Mechanics mentioned that the "D" turbo we just installed may be leaking oil, we're going to pull it tomorrow to check.

We have 2 other "C" turbos lying around that may be ok to use, we used the "D" as it appeared in the best shape and the engine it came off of was rebuilt in 1990.

2nd Question? How do you properly test a turbo without installing it?

Thanks for any help,

houdel

Did you re-time the injector pump after installing the turbo? Turbo and non turbo engines have a different timing spec. IIRC, turbo engines are timed to 20 degrees BTDC, I don't have a clue what the non turbo timing is but it is not the same as a turbo engine.

SEAFIRE

tonight our two mechanics changed the fuel timing to "turbo engine timing", thanks for reminding me about it. We have the engine manual with pictures and the settings for all the different engines.

The "D" turbo does not leak oil, so we'll leave it on.

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The D turbo has an improved compressor wheel design and may make a lot of boost if enough fuel is available. My LD(non-turbo) was a smoker. Its response to the D turbo was less smoke and a lot more power. The engine pegged a 15psi gauge. At that configuration the EGT (exhaust gas temp) under even light load was dangerously high (a pyrometer was also installed). I adjusted the injection pump's fuel nut to reduce fuel delivery until the EGT was tolerable. This brought maximum boost down to 12psi at 2500rpm/13psi at 2600. There was a noticeable reduction in power however the engine still makes about 25-35% more than it did before adding the turbo. At this configuration the EGT can still get too hot. This happens only when the engine is run at or below the bottom end of the operating range. A downshift should be considered overdue at that point. Doing so will quickly lower EGT. It also increase the boost. The EGT is cooler at higher boost because excess air acts as a coolant . This happens after the fuel limit is reached. Too much air is safe. Too much fuel and air is dangerous..

In other words, too much fuel (like before I turned the pump down) turned ALL the new air's O2 into heat. Reducing the fuel left some air un-used, which is very cool (~230*F) compared to exhaust gas (~1200*F) and combustion chamber gas (~7000*F).

Note- 12psi is more boost than the factory used. The LTD's 'C' and 'D' turbos tend to make around 6-8psi. They were set up to be idiot proof and will not make dangerous EGT's. This is why they had no pyrometer or boost gauge.

Others here have suggested the C turbos may not make as much boost as the D.

Anyways, You may want to check your boost and/or EGT after making this modification.

Quick inspection-
Check turbine/compressor wheel for damage. It should turn very easily.
Some side play is ok but they should not contact housing and should show no sign of having done so.

JimK

Sumoman

Quick question to this post on the NON_turbo deuce engine. I have purchased one and was wanting advice on how to best handle this engine. I was considering adding HHO to the mix which reduces smoke on normal engines by further acting as a catalyst to the fuel combustion process. In a normal car this would allow you to decrease the fuel mix, in the Deuce I am hoping to use it to just make it run cleaner.. Ant thoughts

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adding untaxed fuel wont help anything. Try a search for turbo pictures and Non turbo pictures. Plenty have been posted

Sumoman

No... HHO is a gas created using the electrical system, added to the air intake it will burn at 40,000 FPS rather then a typical 7000 for fuel. Acts as a catalyst, they cannot tax you for something you make:-D

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, we usually refer to Home Heating Oil as HHO.

If your talking about those jars that use electrolysis to create "hydrogen gas". It's a bunch of BS. Don't waste your time.

And the Government can and does tax you for fuel you make.

Sumoman

Looked, even googled it. It was over hauled in 85 so maybe a newer engine was placed in it, will not know until i get it. Unless of course someone previewed lot 3944 / 6964 in Frankfort KY and can tell me:wink:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
looked for what? know what?

Sumoman

Oh I just wanted to compare my engine with a turbo version. I have no clue about engines just paying people to work on it. This will actually be my first truck I use as an excuse for tools:twisted:

"Honey, I swear that chain saw is military issue":-D

No, see I have not a clue, I am sure I will have a clue in a year or two of working on it, and while mechanically inclined I can only take a small lawnmower apart.. not a truck. So basically I could not tell you a turbo or none by looking at it, so having comparison pictures would help. I have yet to find them

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck in the lot number(6964) and event number(3944) is a turbo engine, I looked at the GL pictures.

klawrence

Anyone know where you can purchase a turbo kit ? I would like to add a turbo to my m35a2 ? Saturn Surplu says they are sold out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you don't mind having it rebuilt, I have a C turbo that I'd sell. Ken an d Jwaller can rebuild them for you. All you would need after that is the J pipe. PM for details.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
how do you find out when your truck was overhauled??
Engine rebuilds usually have a tag on the block with specs and date. If the whole truck was rebuilt, sometimes the data tag on the dash will have the rebuild date on it.

FreightTrain

Banned
If you don't mind having it rebuilt, I have a C turbo that I'd sell. Ken an d Jwaller can rebuild them for you. All you would need after that is the J pipe. PM for details.

There is a LOT more than just a J pipe.I did it.Talk about a bunch of parts for a simple task.Yikes.3 different "Kits/Items"1-Turbo(Duhh),2-Turbo install kit(intake elbow,oil lines),3-Clean air kit(Exhaust pipes,Intake C pipe,Brackets and bolts galor).You gotta cut a larger hole in the fender,Replace ALL the exhaust,new mounting brackets for the new exhaust,Replace the intake elbow,Exhaust elbow.Hoses and hard lines for the oil supply.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks