• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NOOB Question: Which truck to buy? Hi hours low miles or high miles low hours?

wbread99

So I'm a noob and have a M923A2 question: Which one to buy:

Both trucks look and sound great. Truck 1 has 25,000 miles and 200 hours on the clock. Truck 2 has 16,000 miles and 850 hours on the clock. All apparent other things being equal, whats the best truck for a NOOB to buy? Neither the high mile truck or the high hour truck seem extraordinary for a typical commercial truck.

Thanks in advance!

mikey

Personally, I would buy truck 1. It has an average speed of 125mph. I can't get my M931A2 above 65mph.

You will need to learn to disregard both hours and miles in your search for an MV. These gauges get changed between vehicles often and are rarely accurate.

Mikey

wbread99

Personally, I would buy truck 1. It has an average speed of 125mph. I can't get my M931A2 above 65mph.

You will need to learn to disregard both hours and miles in your search for an MV. These gauges get changed between vehicles often and are rarely accurate.

Mikey
All I need is 88 MPH. Then its back to the future, baby. All 20,000 lbs of it. I honestly didn't consider replacing the gauge and not rolling the hours forward to its correct age.

My Georgia math suggests 800 hours is something just more than a month of running. Prolly accurate for a 24 year old truck. And our supersonic Truck 2 prolly has a new gauge.

Appreciate it.

mikey

To complicate things, which gauge was changed? The speedo, tacho or both? You can never know for sure. Sometimes the entire gauge panel gets swapped including both gauges. That high mileage truck could have 3k actual miles on it. Don't trust the hours OR the mileage on either truck. Do your best to determine the shape of the truck by driving it and by a close physical inspection. That will give you a much better indication of the condition of the vehicle than either of the gauges.

Good luck!

Mikey

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use 30Mph average to determine if the gauges are close to each other and not necessarily the truck.

30Mph X 1,000 hours = 30,000 miles.

What's it mean? Nothing, not a darn thing. The gauges and speedometers get changed more often than the hot dogs at the gas station.

Last edited:

wbread99

Divorce for sure if I got both. I did get the better condition with the "alleged" 216 hours on it. Now the fun begins!