• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noob Question

steved454

Hi everyone, I am a new owner of a M1008 or M1028, not sure. (The transfer case lever does not have the indicator on the side like most 208 transfer cases do and the rear spring has a helper spring on it.) Will post pics tomorrow when I get off work. I have been reading post here for about 2 weeks and have learned so much about the trucks, thanks to everyone posting there information here!. Now to my question! The blackout light switch will not engage. Did the gov but a bolt or something in it before it was released or it is possible that it is broken? the light switch next to it work fine.

thanks
steve

solarmon

Hi everyone, I am a new owner of a M1008 or M1028, not sure. (The transfer case lever does not have the indicator on the side like most 208 transfer cases do and the rear spring has a helper spring on it.) Will post pics tomorrow when I get off work. I have been reading post here for about 2 weeks and have learned so much about the trucks, thanks to everyone posting there information here!. Now to my question! The blackout light switch will not engage. Did the gov but a bolt or something in it before it was released or it is possible that it is broken? the light switch next to it work fine.

thanks
steve
my blackout switch returns to center after turning lights or off. .but DOES operate the lights

steved454

when I push the switch up it returns to the center. LOL but I did not check to seee if the blackout light come on when I do this. So you lights come on when you do it, do You have to pull the switch down to make them go off again? Thought it worked just like the switch next to it and locked in place. Will have to go out and play with it some more then. SO cold right now just have not spent much time with it yet. ( 1961 AmericanLafrance firetruck setting in the shop! No room for my little to truck to fit in there.)

HardCorps79

The blackout light switch on the CUCV does not lock in place. It will return to center once you flip it up or down. This is normal. I would highly recommend reading the User's Manual: http://old.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=6 It covers the function and operation of the light switches, among plenty of other things you should know.

If you haven't already, you should download and begin reading the Technical Manuals (TMs) from the CUCV wiki: Cucv - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite There's some pretty knowledgeable folks on here, many who know things that aren't in the manuals, but none of us can possible remember every last little thing in the TMs. Aren't computers grand? You can use the [Ctrl]-[f] function to search them.

I agree with BKubu. Sounds like you have a 1028:
"The M1028 is a 1984 K30 pickup with a J code 6.2L diesel, TH400 3 speed automatic, and a NP208 transfer case. It is primarily used as a shelter carrier and therefore has heavier rear suspension and mounts for a communications box to be installed in the bed." -CUCV Wiki

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your entry to the MV world. :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going out on a limb here and sat you have an M1028A1. You description of the transfer case shifter says NP205 all over it! Nice truck to find.

Crash_AF

I agree with Kenny, the lack of the indicator on the side tells me that it's a 1028A1 with the 205.

Does the lever stick straight up instead of laying at an angle towards the front of the truck?

Later,
Joe

steved454

yes the 4wd shifter sticks straight up. I paid $2000 for the truck. It runs great and has not rust problem I can find.At the place next door they where going for $2500. I purchase alot from the guy I bought it from so he sold it to me for what he paid at the auction for it and gave me a copy of the invoice from the auction. It also came with a cargo cover with the rails . It is for sale to anyone here on the site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks