• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Noob with question

TURNSKULL

Hi guys name is Daryl from WV. I did searches and read alot of good info on owning a CUCV and alot of it has helped me in some minor issues and up keep. I purchased a pretty solid 1008 from a good friend and love it.

But last week on the way to work the fan clutch went out on me and didn't do it nicely. In all of it i hoped i didn't do any damage to the water pump but after replacing clutch, and all belts this weekend i found out the WP is in need of a change. So my question is will the water pump i found at autozone be a good WP? I like it because of lifetime replacement. through searches i found info that any WP for the 6.2 will be G2G. I was just curious if the part i ordered would do the trick or should i return it and get one from NAPA?

I wont do the instal my buddy i got it from has a local shop that works on CUCV's and will do the work for a great price..

anyway wanted to say thanks for a good site and great info.

D

Matt65

Lifetime replacememt is good, what brand was the pump you got? I just ordered an ACDelco pump, and thermostat from Rock Auto.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does your buddy with a local shop recommend? Most shops are not interested in your "automart" lifetime warranty, when it comes to replacement. Honestly, do you think you'll own the truck for 20+ years? In my opinion, lifetime warranties benefit the seller, more than consumer.

I'd let your buddy doing the work, make the call.

Stick with good original OEM parts... try and stay away from the stuff made in East from the country that has the flag with the 5 yellow stars.

You need to keep in mind what your time is worth if it fails again from buying substandard parts.

Usually NAPA has good quality parts.

original

I always go with the lifetime warranty, but I do all the work myself. Sometimes the parts work great. I have had trouble with wiper motors going bad (3 times in one year). However, I don't mind to replace it as long as the part is replaced for free. Where in WV?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... Honestly, do you think you'll own the truck for 20+ years? In my opinion, lifetime warranties benefit the seller, more than consumer........
For most people that is true. But I am different.......:-D

My 1994 Suburban that I bought in 1995 has 400,000 miles on it. Most of the parts have a lifetime warranty and have paid for themself many times over.

Especially alternators.....

It all depends on who you are and how you treat you vehicles. :driver:

TURNSKULL

I went with the NAPA since they had it in stock. It was installed had all hoses , belts, and new hockey puk therm stat installed for less than 500$ Plus he flushed the cooling system and cleaned up the whole engine bay.. He loves CUCV's and he worked on this truck when my buddy owned it. Said he was sad when he heard he sold it but was excited to see it again when i called them up.

i gotta say the beast purs like a kitten now and runs a heck of a lot smoother.. I plan on keeping the truck until it can't run then i plan on putting the other 6.2 motor i picked up for 150$ in her and then drive it until i die.. It only has 42k on it so im sure i have some more life left in the old green beast.

I plan on putting it in the shop and haveing the front end looked at and redone in the next month or so. Nothing seems to be wrong i just like to plan ahead being as old as it is..

I'm in the eastern panhandle of WV in Harpers Ferry WV

Love this site and all the great info..

197thhhc

Welcome to the site. Glad everything worked out for you. Good preventative maintenance like you are doing is the key to making these vehicles last.