• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Normal oil usuage?

galeo7171

Are the 6.2L engines known for using oil? When I picked up the blazer last week I checked the oil and it was midway between the add line and full line. Today I checked it and it was at the add line. The truck has no oil leaks, nor does it blow unusual amounts of smoke out the tail pipes.....Now, this is the same oil that was in the truck when I picked it up from Ft. Jackson, maybe It just needs an oil change...

ssgtwright-usmc

You never mentioned on how you checked the engine oil before and after.
Did you check it the first time while engine is hot and the next time when the engine was cold.
Check it when you have finished driving and do it again later on and sees what happens.

galeo7171

When I first bought it I checked it cold. I don't know when it was changed last or when they even drove it last. The oil was right at the midway point in between the add and full line (maybe just slightly below the midway point). Today I checked it hot after driving it and the oil level was the same as when I checked it cold a week ago. After letting it cool down for a few hours I checked it again and its right at the add line, maybe slightly below

maritimer

i check my oil a the end of the day ie after i get home i let it sit for about 30 minutes then check it giving the oil a chance to settle completly and find i dont burn more then a quart every 2 months

CCATLETT1984

If the truck sat and idled a lot or has high mileage your engine may have worn piston rings, thats why its using a bit of oil. just watch the oil level and if its just using a little bit dont worry about it.

galeo7171

Re: RE: Normal oil usuage?

CCATLETT1984 said:
If the truck sat and idled a lot or has high mileage your engine may have worn piston rings, thats why its using a bit of oil. just watch the oil level and if its just using a little bit dont worry about it.

It has 123k miles on it, don't know if thats high miles or not??? Also the first time I checked it was when I first picked it up, so it had sat for probably a couple of months. When I checked it yesterday it had sat for a few hours, maybe that had something to do with it?