• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Normal operation?

isaacucv

I tried to pull my Range rover, which was frozen to the ground sitting on the axles and couldn't do it. The odd thing to me was there were 4 holes in the gravel where my tires spun. Is that normal for the M1008? All 4 were spinning at the same time

hemi348

If you had it in 4wd then yes. The front axle is open and after traction is lost only one tire will spin at a time. However it is possible that one of the front tires started to spin then grabbed allowing the other front tire to spin.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your truck an M1008 or M1028?

what are the first 5 letters of your vin?

KsM715

If the traction on the gravel was about equal all the way around I dont see why it wouldnt spin all four. Even with open diffs.

WARWAG

If you had it in 4wd then yes. The front axle is open and after traction is lost only one tire will spin at a time. However it is possible that one of the front tires started to spin then grabbed allowing the other front tire to spin.

On an open diff if each tire has NO traction or the same amount of traction then they will both spin. When one tire gets more traction then the open diff with then give the power to the tire with the least amount of traction.

philjafo

ocasionally a resourcefull motorpool would increase the traction in their workhorse with a welder, installing what's usualy called a "lincon locker" with lockout hubs its not noticeable until they're locked in. And if it was owned by anyone other then the army there's no telling what's been changed without popping the cover off, it can't hurt to look and its a good excuse to change the oil in there. Good luck and hopefully someone put a real locker in there for you cus while a lincon locker works they are known to break at the worst possible time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks