• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Normal top speed for Deuce

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me TOP SPEED is whatever the speedo reads at 2200 RPM tires whatever makes NO difference 2200 RPMs is top speed!
KK

Gnepig

Took my M35A2 out for a ride and my top speed on stock 9.00 is about 50 mph and that is on a flat and to the floor. Is that normal? Wonder if I am starving for fuel? Thanks

Hmm, the O P must have a tan Deuce, the green ones are faster...

Clay James

To me TOP SPEED is whatever the speedo reads at 2200 RPM tires whatever makes NO difference 2200 RPMs is top speed!
KK
That's exactly what I do! Engine sounds happy and fuel economy is better. At 2600 the engine is SCREAMING and MPGs plummet. The way I figure, deuces aren't made to go fast. If I want to go fast I have muscle cars for that.

iatractor

Clay pretty much nailed it-2200 rpms is the magic number for my truck. Running at that rpm on level flat ground with stock 9.00x20 tires, I'm hitting 48-50 mph (according speedo bounces a bit). At that point I have more throttle to give and could get to 55 easily, but I want my engine to last. No reason to even come close to the red mark on the rpms. Shortly after I first got the truck we did a non-scientific test running it alongside a modern car. According to the speedo in it, I was running 52 when mine said 48-49ish. To me, there is no real reason to run much more than 50 in a deuce unless under attack. Each truck I test drove, there was a sweet spot between mph and rpm. You are going to want to find that and run there. Let the truck tell you where it needs to run, not you telling it.

barefootin

Took my M35A2 out for a ride and my top speed on stock 9.00 is about 50 mph and that is on a flat and to the floor. Is that normal? Wonder if I am starving for fuel?Thanks
To answer what I believe is the intent of your question, no... If you are on a flat and in top gear, it should easily pull to redline. I know from driving others that mine is an exception making good power, low egt's, and blowing little smoke but yours should not be to the floor on level ground. "Tanner" has the pedal to the floor to get moving or on long grades, but never when sustaining a speed. 50-55 on a flat is just over half of pedal travel and will pull slight grades in top gear on the floor with no loss in speed. I have some long grade hills in my area and I rarely need to downshift to climb, "Tanner" will crest them doing the posted speed of 35mph in 4th gear with egt's around 1000F (pedal on the floor of course) :)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ahhhhhh Grasshopper.....you must become one with your deuce, you must revel in the slowness, the aerodynamics of a concrete block, the mind numbing vibration when running wide open on the highway for long distances. Become a MV machochist. Read Gimpy Robs "Zen and the Love of a Deuce".

EWhytsell

My deuce has a dash plate that reads "MAX SPEED 48MPH". If you search I a bit you'll also find that the deuce wasn't really designed to brake from 50-0 often as well and especially wasn't designed to do it quickly. Go slow and look awesome.

59apache

Chipmaker
Hmm, the O P must have a tan Deuce, the green ones are faster...
:shock:
i've painted my deuce tan / sand....i hope this wasn't a mistake !
With 9-20 tires, in green, primer red and rust camo my deuce runs 103 km/h = 64 mph according the navi.
Only for a few hundred yards, just for interrest.

She has her own feel-good-speed....its about 52-54 mph...runs smooth and level off at this speed everytime i let her roll.

ATPTac

For reference on tire size to speed:

On our '67 (which has 9x20 tires) when we were on the way back from recovering it, the speedo was averaging around 48-52mph on flat ground (at around 2000-2400rpm). My wife who was the chase car said that I was averaging around 50-55mph according to the speedo in our Outback.

On our '76 (which has 11x20 tires) the speedo reads around the same numbers as the '67, but I downloaded a speedometer app on my phone and it was averaging around 7-8mph faster than the speedo was reading on the truck. So you're looking at 57-63mph approximately.

One of these days, if I can find the time/place to get the rear hubs flipped on our '76, I'm going to install the 395's we have sitting next to the truck. Those will bump the top speed up a little more than the 11x20's. Once I get that done I'll report back the difference, but from what I've read on other guys trucks I'm probably looking to gain about 10mph +/- over the stock 9x20's.

barefootin

My deuce has a dash plate that reads "MAX SPEED 48MPH". If you search I a bit you'll also find that the deuce wasn't really designed to brake from 50-0 often as well and especially wasn't designed to do it quickly. Go slow and look awesome.
The sad thing is my deuce will stop quicker from 50 than either one of my Land Rovers......

RobM36A2

Top speed? Never tried.
On normal roads I keep the speedo at 45 mph. engine seems to be happy with this speed.
On the highway, I drive a bit faster, to keep up with normal trucks, but a max of 51/52 mph.

Once, on the way to make it to the boat to the UK, I got her up to 55 mph, with a screaming and unhappy engine..

barefootin

I don't think the OP want's speed, I think he was just questioning if his truck should be capable of reaching 50mph on a flat which it should do easily.

I know I didn't buy my deuce to go fast, but I did shop around to find one that seemed happy running and doing what it was made for. I drove some that were just lethargic and borderline dangerously underpowered. I bought mine to haul, drag logs, and enjoy the smiles per gallon without having to feel like I'm beating the snot out of it.

rwminck

Barefootin, you are correct, I am trying to see what is normal for everyone else. Being a ex-Bubblehead, I have no experience with a Deuce. So what I now know is my pedal should not be on the floor at 2200-2300 rpm, but 2200 rpm is a good rpm to run, thanks KK. I will look in the TM's to see what adjustments I can make for the throttle cable. Thanks for the info everyone.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took my M35A2 out for a ride and my top speed on stock 9.00 is about 50 mph and that is on a flat and to the floor. Is that normal? Wonder if I am starving for fuel?Thanks
Have you changed your fuel filters lately?

Ever clean the fuel tank?

Do you use diesel fuel only?

How long has it been like this?

Has it always been like this?

I doubt your linkage is the issue. But it would not hurt to confirm that you have full throttle travel.

Jeepsinker

Yeah mine acts this way when my filters start to get plugged. I pulled the fuel pump and cleaned out as much crap as I could by hand with rags and tank cleaner and it helped a whole lot. You may be surprised at how much rusty crap is sloshing around in the bottom of your tank.

dabtl

Yeah mine acts this way when my filters start to get plugged. I pulled the fuel pump and cleaned out as much crap as I could by hand with rags and tank cleaner and it helped a whole lot. You may be surprised at how much rusty crap is sloshing around in the bottom of your tank.
And, do not forget the biological crap that grows there. I use a bio-killer from Autozone to clean it up. Yuk!