• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Norman Deuce recovery, or, my Butt hurts......

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well,

Set out Thurs morning from Las Cruces in the 1008 (alone) with all the recovery goodies loaded in the back. I got into Norman about 8 p.m. no problems, hotel, many beers, sleep. Next morning got to the National Guard facility and found Sgt. Lee, I was an hour early, appointment was for 8 a.m., anywho, we jump in the Gator and head out to where my Deuce was, we roll up, he shuts the Gator off and the Deuce is running!!!, wow, I think, he already has my truck ready to go.....

Sgt. Lee said, CRAP, I'm sorry Mr. Davis, but your truck has been running since yesterday........ :shock:

At 15:30......

He explained that he had moved my truck the day before to make room for some more trucks that were coming in, and while he was doing that, someone showed up to pick up another auction truck.....

Fast forward 16 hours......

I said, no problem, really...at least I know it will run, LOL, Sgt. Lee was still upset that he had left my truck running all night, running out all the diesel that was in the truck, so I departed with a FULL tank of fuel :shock: , thank you VERY much! :D

I hook up the 1008 and head back to the Hotel (10 miles or so) to shower, get my gun and check out. Deuce runs great!, no leaks, good brakes, etc. etc. I'm stoked :D looking forward to a 670 mile drive back to New Mexico......not really :lol:

Well, 150 miles or so into the drive, I stop for a potty break and a top off of diesel....

Apparently transfer case chassis lubrication system activated shortly after I set out..
rear seal is puking out gear oil.......
And guess what wasn't in my kit....

What was in my kit was a 5 gallon pail of gear oil, thank you god....the EPA is looking for me, I'm sure....

I stopped every 100 miles or so all the way back, 14 hours 43 mph overall average, and topped off the t-case

I will NEVER go that far by myself to get a truck again......

Unless it's a good deal :p

Pics

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is amazing however, after something goes wrong.....how noises I swear I've never heard any of my trucks make, were suddenly emminating from this Deuce...

I hear/heard a really bad rattle about 300 miles into the trip, and I swear it's coming from the back end of the T-case, as heard through the back window, to me it sounded like a bearing going.....about that time it started popping out of high range, so, for the next few hundred miles I had the end of the t-case shifter stuck in the back of my right knee, holding it up, I used all my bungees on the 1008 driveshaft......

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck & good trip. Years ago, I remember driving the M211's around. Every trip was long & roads rough- the chassis lubrication system that you speak of, was a "work in progress".

Lee in Alaska

Green_gator

Glad to see that you had a good recovery. This group is sure cleaning up MSG. Lee's yard. There were a couple of nice M109s waiting to go up for sale and those three beautiful towed 105 howitzers right by the front gate.....

jimbo*

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well FMJ, if'n you wanted a helper/partner for the trip, all you's had to do was ask. I would'a gone for it.

On the noise, my duece tractor does that in fourth/high range, I still haven't figured it out.

Glad it went well.

Jimbo

desertfox

Hey Ed,
I would never do a trip alone again. Made one from Sioux City, IA couple of years ago. Beat me up. We change off drivers every couple of hours. Otherwise we get too beat up expecially at my age.
Your truck was worth the trip tho. And yes, all you need do is ask for an assistant driver.
Gary