• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Northern VA Deuce

saddamsnightmare

RE: Re: Northern VA Deuce

June 21st, 2008.

Good luck to you guys (and gals) in Northern Virginia..... I don't know if I would want to get within 70+ miles of D.C. with a deuce, given the traffic, the twerps (other drivers) and the amount of gearshifting and braking you'd need to do....
Yes, the deuce is quite a road truck once you get it up to speed ( and hope the road doesn't have too many potholes or serious hills), with the right ear protection and a spring seat they're not bad.... BUT I doubt if my wife would ride far on the folding gunners bench passenger seat.... not much padding there! As regards leaks, you can retrofit the windshields with new rubbers, but I doubt if you're gonna completely stop the leaks.... I washed mine the other day at a truck wash, and for the next two days the lower corners of the drivers windshield kept blowing soap bubbles..... I finally said the heck with it and opened the windshield.....
Rhino Coating??? I guess you guys are either gonna haul a lot of rock or firewood.... or you might not have a cargo cover and bows set? My truck stays nice and dry with the cargo cover, and Uncle Sam threw enough CARC paint in that bed it looks like stucco on a house (must have been those G.I.'s with corn brooms and a bucket of paint?).

If you really want to enjoy your deuce, take US 50 to Winchester,Va, US 11N to North Martinsburg, W.Va.,
W.Va. 9 East to Shepherdstown, W.Va., W.Va. 230 S. to Halltown, W.Va., US 340 E to Harpers Ferry,W.Va., Va. 671 South to Hillsboro, Va., VA 9 East to Purcellville, and Va. 7 back to D.C. beltway.

Alternate route, same as above BUT W.Va. 9 West to Berkeley Springs, W.Va., and US 522 South to Winchester, Va., return by same route as outbound...... Make Sure Your Brakes Are VERY GOOD, and you may want to allow two days for either of these trips, for the hills will be slow, and some are fairly long.... but the scenery's good.
When you cut through Hedgesville, W.Va on W.Va. 9 W, you can wave at MEDLOG when you go by..... :beer:

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deue
1968 Johnson Corp. M105A2
1967 Hercules Gas Gen-Set APU- MEP023A
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S.404.114 MB

N.B. Take you canoe... the canoeing on the Potomac at Shepherdstown or over at Berkeley Springs, W.Va. is pretty good......