• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NOS USMC M1028 from Norway Storage

davidkroberts

man thats awesome, after everything we go through messing with GL around here its good to see something like this slip through the cracks every now and then

sandcobra164

For those interested, the truck is safe and sound tonight. He pulled Trick Or Treat duty along with the M105A2. If you want a work out, swing the sledge and spray the PB Blaster enough to get the pintle shank out so you can flip it and make the trailer ride almost level behind the M1028. Anyhow, the combo did great and the wife and kids had a great time riding and stopping at house's to get their trick or treat candy. Sarge (that's his name now), enjoyed the attention and really had fun with the whole outing. He thanked us for driving him and said the sunlight felt good today.

PS, I tried to upload some photo's but it was taking to long to load (I waited 15 minutes). Also, this truck probably could wind up in a museum but why put it to bed so early in it's life? I want a nice truck for my wife and she want's it riding on some tall tires and lifted. She'd also prefer a M1009 on tall tires and lifted, but people want alot of money for them in so so shape so I found this truck and it's all about compromise. I know that I can do everything right to it and make it a good reliable truck that will live up to her expectations except the fact that it's not a M1009. If anyone cares that much, bring one down lifted, big tires and paint and actual miles on the truck close and it's a deal. Keep in mind, mine just passed 2,200 miles and I doubt there are many M1009's lifted with good paint close to that.

WARWAG

For those of you who are poo pooing on his plans just give it a rest! I say do what ever you want to. As long as you donrt do something like slam it and or put the body on a Corvette chassis?aua Anything but that. Anyway it will make an excellent backwoods ride for your wife. Lift it and put bigger tires on. I cant wait to see it done! Great find. I just paid over what you did on a 45K+ unit and am very happy with it. If you hear of anything like that again and dont need it I would appreciate a PM.:mrgreen: But finds like those are rare as hens teeth. Keep us posted. I hope your wife knows how lucky she is!

sandcobra164

WARWAG, finally some support! I know I got a cherry truck and I'll never forget that. Sarge say's he's ready to live and he's been in bed for way to long. Most folks on here just like to restore and look at these old trucks. I'm a little different, my boys have given these trucks names and see them as people to a point. Joey said he had trouble sleeping at the "Big Truck Rally" because the trucks were talking to each other all night long. I know they are inanimate objects but I do believe they have a soul. They don't want to be shelved, they want to drive!!!

WARWAG

WARWAG, finally some support! I know I got a cherry truck and I'll never forget that. Sarge say's he's ready to live and he's been in bed for way to long. Most folks on here just like to restore and look at these old trucks. I'm a little different, my boys have given these trucks names and see them as people to a point. Joey said he had trouble sleeping at the "Big Truck Rally" because the trucks were talking to each other all night long. I know they are inanimate objects but I do believe they have a soul. They don't want to be shelved, they want to drive!!!

I think there are enough "Museum" restorers here to make up for guys like us who want to use these great vehicles. Besides, what better way to get people into MVs? The more people see them the more they are loved.

Sardot1

Wow! Nice. And I thought the stories of trucks in underground storage were just stories.

And it even comes with a dash that matches the rest of the interior...not all cracked up or light blue.

Drive it and enjoy it.
Is it still under warranty with GM?:)

rnd-motorsports

I agree ! use it for what you wan't you found it and bought it so it's for you to do with what you wan't. yes it is going to or is worth some money to a collector but sounds like its worth more to your wife! So what if you could retire for what it could bring! maybe you could enjoy retirement with what it will bring you!:driver:

rhinob

Great find. I thought I did well with a pristine 48,000 mile M1009 (and still do), but you did VERY well. I'm a vote for keeping it all original.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, the M1010 ambulance that sold on GL about mid summer had 78 miles on it and went for $12,500 plus the 10% GL fee and taxes - call it $15k (ish).

SC, that vehicle is worth at LEAST $10k. AT LEAST.

If you don't want to sell it, PLEASE, please, please do not lift this truck.

You could save this example as a great parade vehicle and one you use for military events, etc.

Dude, I'm getting ready to modify one of my M1009's with some M1008 axles, an injector tip upgrade and an exhaust upgrade. Probably put 200 horses at the rear wheel. PLUS the top comes off - so I'll have a convertible M1009 with 66k miles on it. I might even treat it to a pair of leather seat covers (correct color, of course) and some vibrators for the lower back and seat heaters. Plus a serious roll cage for when the back when the top is off.

I also own an M1028a2 dually with 18k miles (had 13.5k miles when I bought it, but I drove it 2500 miles from Ft Drum, NY to Denver, Colorado and a second M1009 with only 14k miles which I got it from Ft Riley, KS with 13.5k miles as well. THOSE only get used for parades and around town. I DO TAKE THEM OUT. I do drive them ALL the time - note you need to drive them at least once or twice a month just to keep all the gaskets solid. But I did not molest either of those.

Sandcobra, there are TONS of M1008's that are no where nearly as nice a shape as this one. I'm NOT saying put it in a museum. Mainly I believe the LAST of the CUCV"s are going to start being shook out of the system. THESE types of vehicles will pop up in the coming two years.

Hopefully we can save as many of them as possible, unmolested. Again, there are TONS of other M1008's that can be lifted. Plus I'd be GLAD to give you the exact plans I have for making the M1009 Blazer the way I THINK it should have been made.

40 gallon fuel tank
M1008 axles w.3,73 gears (gotta change the carrier)
6.2L marine injector tip install

She runs two spares. She will be used mainly as my daily driver, but she would be a great trail rig and she will perform a lot of other tasks as well.

I will post a thread in the coming months as I begin this build up. Gotta get a pair of M1008 axles locally. Then, just do some swapping, plus swap in some 3.73 gear ratio. No lift. No big deal otherwise. I will use the 16 inch wheels. And continue to use two spares in all my vehicles.

OK, consider an M101A2 trailer. FITS PERFECTLY. And you could swap the wheels or use the spare from the pickup on the trailer (I THINK).

Last edited:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warwagon,
Not saying 'museum piece'.

Just saying not molest such a fine example. That's all.

It's HIS truck. He should do what he wants. Just my .02 and I am willing to give him my specs. That's all.

lonegunman

Awesome, I was in Norway a couple of times for training. I wonder if that truck was on the same base I was working on? We had some amazing caves on base that the Germans built in the granite hillside just below the base. They had tons of goodies stored there, some of the German. They wanted to clear some out and built a command post for a 9/11 type crisis there the last time i visited.

I would rather have had a crate of MP-40's or Lugers but the truck would work fine as well.:p

91W350

That is a super nice truck and a museum would be glad to have it. If it was mine though, I would just drive it. A lot of museums got very nice CUCVs already. I am just not much for lifting these trucks, but that is a personal use thing. A decent set of tires and they are capable of more than I need. You are in an excellent position to drive 100,000 miles for next to nothing or free. I say take it and run. I paid almost twice that for my M1008 and am still feel very lucky to have it.

I would rather have a nice M1028A2 or A3, but my M1008 will do me just fine.If you want to lift it and put big tires on it, go for it, at least that is my opinion. It has been proven many times, a really nice vehicle built off of a nice clean original is cheaper to build than taking a beater and trying to restore the components as well as doing the add ons.

The only reason I want a M1028 with duals is that I have never seen one in person, so I know my odds of running into another are pretty slim. I kind of like the unusual.

You scored an excellent vehicle, now go enjoy it! Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks