• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NOS USMC M1028 from Norway Storage

sandcobra164

It's been about a month, Time to bring this back up and Thank some folks. 3DAngus brought me a trailer for the CUCV. It's a nice M101A1. I told him a story of how my youngest son Briggs has become confused. The Deuce has his M105A2 hooked behind him most of the time but Sarge doesn't have a trailer. I spoke to 3DAngus about buying one that he had and the story messed him up to the point that he brought an M101A1 to my back yard and left it with me. He took the wheels as they were some rare M37 5 lugs and he explained that he only bought the trailer for the wheels and tires for his M37. He explained that he didn't want a thing for it, he wanted Briggs to be happy with a trailer behind Sarge. Fortunately for me, Papabear has found some wheels, I just need to get some tires and I'll have a trailer for Sarge. Next I probably need to find some bows and cover's for the 101 but it's like I explained to 3DAngus, I need another trailer like I need another hole in my head. At this point, I just want to keep all this stuff roadworthy for the enjoyment of my precious Briggs and I certainly appreciate what others on here have contributed to the cause. I don't have Autism and I'm thankful for that. As for Briggs, the greatest enjoyment comes from not having "Sarge" leave the yard when he's not in it. Now we'll make sure to get some tires under the M101 so "Sarge" can pull it around. You could probably weld the pintle hitch closed once I get the M101 hooked to it. I doubt it would get "dropped" anytime in my lifetime. I just hope to find some Bows and a Tarp for it, hopefully tan so it matches a 3 color green Deuce towing a Tan trailer with a tan tarp. We'll see, Thanks for following if you read it all!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It's been about a month, Time to bring this back up and Thank some folks. 3DAngus brought me a trailer for the CUCV. It's a nice M101A1. I told him a story of how my youngest son Briggs has become confused. The Deuce has his M105A2 hooked behind him most of the time but Sarge doesn't have a trailer. I spoke to 3DAngus about buying one that he had and the story messed him up to the point that he brought an M101A1 to my back yard and left it with me. He took the wheels as they were some rare M37 5 lugs and he explained that he only bought the trailer for the wheels and tires for his M37. He explained that he didn't want a thing for it, he wanted Briggs to be happy with a trailer behind Sarge. Fortunately for me, Papabear has found some wheels, I just need to get some tires and I'll have a trailer for Sarge. Next I probably need to find some bows and cover's for the 101 but it's like I explained to 3DAngus, I need another trailer like I need another hole in my head. At this point, I just want to keep all this stuff roadworthy for the enjoyment of my precious Briggs and I certainly appreciate what others on here have contributed to the cause. I don't have Autism and I'm thankful for that. As for Briggs, the greatest enjoyment comes from not having "Sarge" leave the yard when he's not in it. Now we'll make sure to get some tires under the M101 so "Sarge" can pull it around. You could probably weld the pintle hitch closed once I get the M101 hooked to it. I doubt it would get "dropped" anytime in my lifetime. I just hope to find some Bows and a Tarp for it, hopefully tan so it matches a 3 color green Deuce towing a Tan trailer with a tan tarp. We'll see, Thanks for following if you read it all!!
Tell ya what Sandcobra, I told ya when ya called I would find ya some wheels and I did and they will have serviceable tires so Briggs can see "Sarge" pulling the trailer whenever he wants to.
Come get em Brother.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sandcobra,

For that cover, go to GMA Covers - http://www.gmacover.com/

Go to Protection Technologies - NSN Search Catalog - about three quarters down that list, near the bottom, look for M101 - M101A1 - they have Tan 686 covers listed. It's right after 'medium truck' in the middle column.

Last time I checked - they were going for around $250 (about a year or two ago) - this is for the cover ONLY, no bows are included at that price.

But at least once you find the bows, you can get the tarp in the color you are seeking.

Hope that helps.

sandcobra164

Sarge now has a trailer. I would like to Thank 3dAngus for the trailer, Papabear for the wheels, and Atomic for going with me to get the wheels and break down the old tires. Briggs is extremely happy that Sarge has a trailer now. We took it for a ride and you can't even tell it's back there. Now I've got to flip the lunette so she'll ride level and I've got to get some paint on it but we're off to a great start!!!

Attachments

sandcobra164

Took it on the 180 mile one way trip to Durhamtown and back. No issues. Took it up "Slippery Nipple" on some steep hills that have made many other trucks back down and still no issues. Thanks to USMC for wanting lockers in both axles, this truck took the family up some of the worst stuff you could come across at Durhamtown and even had to drag something up the hill when a truck owner got stuck halfway up a hill and was scared to back down. Still on those tiny Firestones from the factory but the joy of my Wife and Boy's going vertical is worth more than anyone can offer and some of you know, ya'll offered almost enough to buy a new Duramax Chevy Truck.. You just can't put a price on memories and Goodness do I have some ups and down's with owning that old truck!!! Happy to be back on the up side of ownership. If you want to know about the downside of this truck, go back a few pages and you'll figure it out pretty quick. I'm just upset I don't have any pics of this truck making some of those mudholes and hills look so easy on small street tires.

AJMBLAZER

Sandcobra, some 33" mud tires or some of the newer style "aggressive AT's" and you'll be amazed at what you can do.

jeepsguy, yes he should. I'm sure he knows that though.

sandcobra164

jeepsguy,
This truck loves an additive called "MultiLube". It's in no way related to anything in the Deuce world but an additive that helps restore the lubricity to diesel fuel thanks the the ULSD diesel that we have to run. I've confirmed that the truck does not in any way like "untreated" diesel as it has an injector that will stick open if ran that way. It sounds nasty when that happens but she'll clear up if you floor it. Since using MultiLube at each fill up, I've had no issues. I don't think some of the higher mileage trucks notice as things may have loosened up a little bit but with a lower mileage truck, things are still tight as can be and that can be a bad thing with the removal of sulfur from the fuel.

sandcobra164

www.multilube.com Diesel owners will want the stuff sold in the clear jug and the product itself is clear. I also use it in my gas powered vehicles with good results. I do want to disclaim that I'm not in any way affiliated with them, they make a good product that I personally use. I like it because it is very concentrated so a little goes a long way. A gallon jug only costs about 30 bucks but will treat about 1,000 gallons of fuel.

donalloy1

sandcobra164, please send photos of all stenciled markings on vehicle. Want to follow suit with USMC marking SOP on my M1009. Thanks in advance, DMLII sends

sandcobra164

DML, I'll have to get to work. You can see the stenciled markings in my first 2 posts in this thread but I'll do you one better. I'll try to take some pics with a ruler so that you can see exactly where they are in reference to some surrounding objects such as mirrors, windows, tailgate handle, etc. Keep in mind though, my truck has been repainted while in service. A dead give away is the faded paint in the bed (It used to tote around a huge fire extinguisher back there). Another deviation that has been pointed out to me is the lack of a second cutout in the trailing side of the "M" in the USMC number as painted. The only stenciled markings are the USMC markings on both doors and tailgate and the tire pressure markings above each of the tires. My truck is unique in that it was marked with the NSN across the leading edge of the hood (faded to almost non-existence now) and it had it's shipping markings painted onto the left front of the hood. That's what was captured in the one picture that shows a block stencil of "Norway, Driveaway", etc. I've not had a rattlecan near the truck, it truly looks just like the day I picked it up from MCLB Albany, save for a little mud that I need to wash off after the GA Rally.

sandcobra164

First 9. I should add that the random sprays of tan or brown are not paint marks. I live on a light tan sandy dirt road and the GA Rally had some brownish red clay this year. When clean, the truck has no random spots with one exception. When it was new, someone drove over a freshly painted white stripe on the pavement so it has white dots all over the back bumper. That Marine that drove it did that so they will stay. I'll wash it if you need better pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Last 9. If you need anything specific, let me know.

Attachments

sandcobra164

I should also say that I apologize but have complied with alot of people who have followed this thread from the start. I owe an explanation if you will. I wanted to lift this truck and make it into one heck of a trail blazer. If you go a few pages back, you'll learn that my youngest son Briggs is really attached to Sarge. He has been since the day this truck came into the yard. I tried to talk him into a lift and bigger tires. That fell on deaf ears as he just want's to ride in Sarge just like he is right now and when I put the HMMWV tires on him about 2 years ago, he was mad as fire. He wanted his "regular" tires back on. Well, perhaps some of the purists have won out completely in regards to this truck. I'm going to get me a 5 ton tractor to do my hauling and trail riding in.

The side of me that is not quite a purist though. Ya'll won, he's staying on factory size suspension and tires!!! He still went up in that configuration alot of stuff at the GA Rally that many other trucks I've seen would not. He's got mud all over the underside but he did his job. He took Lee and the boy's on the trails and for the unforeseen future will remain bone stock, save for a DH Relay Mod and a CD Player. That's how Briggs likes him and he will stay "as is". It's been a fun ride!!! Or as Nissan likes to say, "Enjoy the Ride". I may not agree with people wanting to keep this thing stock and Briggs may be "ahead of his year's" in terms of what to do. He really loves the old truck and it really is a nice piece to keep around just as it is. Ya'll can Thank him at next years GA Rally. He'll be the shorter of the 2 Redhead boy's walking around. I dare someone to change a shackle out on Sarge in front of him!!!

Last edited:

donalloy1

Last 9. If you need anything specific, let me know.
I think you pretty much got me squared away sandcobra! Thank you very much for support! Boy they run those tires hard! The one thing that I am still unclear on is how and where if at all Marine Corps applies unit level ID to CUCV vehicles? Such as 2/6 Fox Company... When I was in so long ago! We applied our unit ID to our Armored vehicles. Any input from SSer's would be greatly appreciated. Respectfully, DMLII sends