• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nostalgic Air Parts A/C kit experiences?

Napoleon_Tanerite

I was looking to put an OD Iron kit in my M1009, but about a week ago they jacked the prices up $400. Shopping around I found another company, Nostalgic Air Parts, which also has a "drop-in" (as much as is possible I suppose) CUCV A/C kit specifically for dual alternator setups like ours. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences with this company, and if so what their impressions were. The instructions are certainly more detailed than the OD Iron instructions; however, they're a bit more generic, as they cover the majority of the kits NAP sells, with references to more specific instructions to be included in whatever kit you may order. Seems like the job would be challenging, but straightforward.

Marty G

Ive done several vintage air kits on 67-72 Chevy's very straight forward just takes some time.
looking at my m1008 there is a lot less room under the hood but should be very little difference other than the extra alternator in the way.

Napoleon_Tanerite

One other thing I'm wondering is if guys who have done an A/C install are getting enough airflow from the factory fan to cool the condenser and the radiator in 100+ degree heat. I'd rather not change out the fan, but I'd prefer to do that rather than overheat the truck.

YellowHammer

One other thing I'm wondering is if guys who have done an A/C install are getting enough airflow from the factory fan to cool the condenser and the radiator in 100+ degree heat. I'd rather not change out the fan, but I'd prefer to do that rather than overheat the truck.
I saw the exact same deal. I was going to go with the OD when I finally had the finances to swing it and I go back to find them at $1350. I went ahead and ordered from Nostalgic for $940 something/free shipping. I'll keep yall mosted on my experience. Just ordered it Thursday 22nd

Hey Napoleon, I'd be glad to come down and assist in any way I can when you're ready to go with it. I'm going to be anxious to get mine in and I figure that more minds working can really help out in this situation. I know I could handle it by myself, but I've learned from experience that I'd be looking a 3 times the work and headaches can be avoided by having others to help guy in the right direction. This could be done in 1 day if it goes smoothly. I've seen jobs like this stretch out for days into weeks without the right kind of minds at the helm.
This isn't really that big a deal. But has the potential to be huge headakes with improper approach. Let me know what your status is and I'll try to make it if I can get away for a day or two.

REGULATOR

Yellow Hammer, hopefully I'l be in town cause Id like to see this kit and how it installs..

might have to get one.

will these work if Ive already done a 12V conversion?

YellowHammer

Yellow Hammer, hopefully I'l be in town cause Id like to see this kit and how it installs..

might have to get one.

will these work if Ive already done a 12V conversion?
I'll IM you when it comes in and let you take a look. I'm thinking that you would be able to find something easier if you only have 1 alt. Maybe even something salvaged from a K5 or Suburban with a 6.2. But I'm no expert.

mtjbrown

Nostalgic air sells one that will work with only the passenger side alt. That will be the way I go because I want to keep the compressor away from the banks turbo.

mark