• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not A Lurker Anymore.

FreightTrain

Banned
Another thing when towing that much weight.Keep the RPMs up high so you can use the engine to slow you down some and to keep from lugging.Plus the sound of a high revving engine will let everyone know your comming.See if you can get someone a little on the suicidal side to ride in the Deuce and if things get out of hand they can hit the brakes if they even work.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! Ditto on the 715 pullind the M35s. Remember be safe, if not for you, at least the person next to you.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my list of stupid tows I've done with my 94 Chevy crew cab dually. M275 Gasser from Philly to S Fla. Also had extra set of deuce axles along for the ride. No problems. M35A2 from Baxley GA to S Fla. Pushed me sideways in I95 in downtown JAX. Was able to correct it and save it. Only cost me one pair of underware. I failed to transfer weight to the pickup. Another M35A2 from Baxley GA to S Fla. Removed outer duals, axle shafts and spare and put in pickup. No problems. M35A2 wo/engine from Columbus OH to S Fla. Moved everything I could to the back of the pickup. Also headed home with 100 gallons of diesel in the bed. The hills on I77 killed me but made the trip safe. With all that said and done, I'll never do that again as long as I can help it. Now I use a deuce to move everything. Costs a little more time and money but saves lives. Oh, be careful if you plan on airing up the tires on those trucks. They can be a little dangerous.

Barrman

I have been mentally debating whether to pull all the axles or drain and fill with oil before I start to move them. Reading that somebody else pulled them kind of leans me in that direction.

I hope to have 2 good rim/tires that I am going to put on the front of each truck while it is being towed. I thought about the dry rot exploding tire thing too.

My M715 has the 11.00-16 XZL tires, a rear locker, 396 Big Block, NV4500 and dual circuit brake mc. How low should I let my tire pressure down? I assume that the softer the tire, the more traction I will have since the only problem is going to be the rear axle trying to pass the truck in turns and stops.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
This last piture is a disaster waiting to happen it may have made it ten miles but the rule to remember is if it does not look right it most likely is not. A towbar should be nearly level when properly installed. In this picture imagine hitting a bump whent the M52 goes up so does the rear end of the pickup. Not a good thing to happen. I still think that if a local truck owner can not help you to at least rent a bigger truck or hire someone to do it. Plus if you mess up you vehicle in the process you will have three to work on not two.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always pull the axle shafts off the rear and drive flanges off the front. Since you have 2 trucks you can do this. Pull both sets of front drive flanges and use the 4 of them to cover the rears where the shafts are coming out. It will reduce the mess of gear oil. The problem you have with your M715 is that it will make it go much better than it makes it woah. Plan your turns, decents and towns and creep along in those areas. Make sure you rig towing lights and maybe even a yellow strobe if you can get one. I'm not so sure I would lower the tire pressure. You would get more traction but more heat too. You can do it and its not that far but just be keenly aware of the dangers and factor in that no matter how much gap you leave, some jerk is going to violate it. Don't get mad at the idiot, focus your attention on getting the gap back. I'm living proof that it can be done. Does the 715 still have the 5.875 gears? If it does, that thing should pull like a locomotive.

sermis

Tim........yes,,,,,,,no,,,,,,,,,yes,,,,,,,,,,,no.
If I put the M37 in the bed of the M35, do you have a place to unload it. Wife is workng that weekend so I might just come down. I should have the tires mounted by this weekend. Debating on the air pack rebuild. I have the kit for it just never done one.

Barrman

Steve, I don't know of a loading dock I could "use" on a weekend morning. Can't really think of one during the week either. Bumper tow the 37. We are going to swap out axles anyway, so except for tires, you shouldn't have any troubles.

I will call you tonight.