• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not for sale...

gunboy1656

Last Saturday I took my deuce to work with me since my wife needed the car for some running and to take her son to get his permit to drive. Had a bunch give the usual "I want one of those".

Today I brought it in cause a couple people didn't get a chance to look it over since they were working and could not get away and to let my stepson get some time behind the wheel of the car.

As I pulled in and was getting briefed by the day guard one of the sub contractors working on site stopped as they were leaving. First question..."is it for sale". Told him nope. He asks 6 more times, then says give me a number. Come up with a high number, tell him 12,000. Without blinking he pulls out a wallet and starts counting hundreds. I stopped him at 2,000 and tell him I can't sell it. I love this truck too much to part with it.

I said I spent in a signal company, this truck came from a signal company and the trailer I have came from a signal company as a matter of fact the same unit as the truck. For some reason I am meant to own this truck.

He mentioned he has 7 trucks, built 2 bobbers one he sold for 18K and the other for 35K.

Still dumbfounded I passed up that much money.

m816

You sure are a dedicated Veteren, Maybe dumb as a rock, but I'm sure everyone thinks we all are dumb to be so attached to our toys. I salute you for standing your ground. However if you see that guy with that fist full of cash running ariund again, Please,please post his card here on this site. I'm sure there are a few of us who have some dogs we would love to turn into quick cash.:doghead:

jaxsof

I was offered $20k for my 813, and did the exact same thing. If they really want the truck, they should look around. They are still out there and somewhat more afordable than trying to get ours.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I learned my lesson the hard way with one of my former M915's.......my buddy showed up in the back yard with a guy in tow that wanted to look at my "Army truck".

This was a cherry M915 that still had the paint on the 5th wheel and low miles since a complete rebuild in 2006.

The old guy looked like he didn't have two nickles to rub together.

He asked how much I would take and off the top of my head I put a figure out. Over two grand more than I paid for it. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a roll of bills that would choke a horse.

He left me with a pocket full of money but no way to pull my big van trailer to the 2010 GA Rally.

I had to get a fellow member to pull it over and back with his M818.

Moral of the story.........be sure you want to sell before you put your mouth in gear.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GUNBOY1656

You know the multi fuel engines in the not so distant future will be worth their weight in GOLD. Your a smart man not to sell. I may sound off the wall but its my opinion. IGD

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow - I sold 9 deuces in the last 5 years. If anyone said "I'll give you $12,000 for any one of the nice trucks I sold, I would gift wrap it and put a giant bow on top for free.

Just. Wow.

goldneagle

I had a guy from a movie company offer to buy my first Deuce. At that time I also had the M820A2 and needed cash anyway. I bought he truck for $1370. Had $2000 tied in it. He asked me how much. I said $4000. He said sold!

Found a M109A2 for $1400 @ Camp Shelby. Has a new engine in it. Kinda like getting a free truck!

sandcobra164

I've been offered various amounts for my M35A2 and M105 combo. They always made it back to my house and never changed hands. I agree, keeping tags and insurance and then feeding the combo diesel and performing maintenance is not always a practical endeavor. I enjoy knowing that my combo is in good hands, will always be ready to go when I get and itch to drive them, and will not be bobbed so long as I don't need a liver or kidney transplant anytime soon. Someone's sig used to be, the longer I live, the more I know but oh how I love my deuce. I'm sure I misquoted it but it's pretty close to the original intent. $12,000 would be hard to walk away from but then again, I've been offered about twice that for my NOS M1028 which now has 4,500 original miles. It's still in the yard as well. I like my old trucks.

gunboy1656

I have a remanufactured turbo sitting on the back of my 54 REO. How many bars is it worth? :beer:
1/4 bar.

Seeing some prices of trucks lately I think I am sitting on gold. Everywhere from 2500 to 60,000. Yes 60K for a standard truck. Someone offers that to me and sorry it is gone.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love my deuce but for $12,000 it would be theirs. I know where another can be had for less than half that. Except my wife and kids, I'd say just about everything I own has a price if you really want it. :)

I don't fault the OP for walking away though. It's his truck and if he don't want to sell, he don't want to sell.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a truck, but I let Uncle Sam have my 18 1/2 years (NG) because I value my family more....

Yep, some things are more important than money or stuff.

pyrogod117

Wow no wonder the prices are so insanely high lol. I've been looking and they used to be $3,000 ish for a M35A2 W/W Whistler in GL condition and now even beaters are going for $5k+ around here.

But yeah, I understand you not wanting to part with it. If I was attached to something for that reason I wouldn't either, but I agree with m16ty that everything I currently own has a price.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess we are all different. I actually prefer that vehicles come and go from my yard. I just don't have the attachment to any one vehicle, especially when there are so many interesting ones I have yet to possess!

Cheers to the OP for valuing his tie to his time in service.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks