• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not so hefty after all...

Croatan_Kid

I finally got around to hauling some scrap metal to the local recyler. Loaded up the truck with 813 pounds of random used truck parts, galvanized sheet metal, and other odds and ends I had laying around. I really just wanted to make a few bucks so I could get some lunch [thumbzup] I think I cleared like 75 bucks...I had two radiators, so that helped.

Anyway, I always figured the truck to be about 6500 pounds. A few buddies said closer to 7000 and only one said 6300. To be sure it weighs more than 6300 right? Actually...NO! It weighs less! The ticket from the scrap yard said 6250 pounds on the way out! That was with me in the truck and half a tank of fuel. The last time I weighed it (still with the 6.2 and TH400) it tipped the scales at 5940 with me and a full tank. I'm still rather amazed that that is all that it weighs.

So, there you have it. My truck weighs about 6000 pounds :grin: I used 7.3 pounds per gallon for the diesel (ten gallons) and subtracted 220 for myself.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might be wrong, but I think diesel is lighter than that. I know for an absolute FACT that JP-8 weight 6.8lbs/gal, and I doubt diesel is that much heavier.
OLD diesel...non low sulfer... was 7.2 per gallon, I know this from all the dyno testing i've done. The new stuff is lighter, I IRC, I read that it is at just under 7 per gal, 6.925 or something like that.
Military vehicle content...I burn diesel in the deuce!

Croatan_Kid

Very true....especially with the crook I hauled it to. :roll: I'd still give it 6100 pounds. Either way, a helluva lot lighter than I expected it to be :cool:

Never thought of the newer diesel being lighter, but a very valid point.

Marty G

I agree i would have guessed it at 6500+ after watching the 1/2 ton truck squat when you all loaded the motor.