• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not Starting

NRGarrott

I have a new to me M1008 with 44k miles. I have installed an electric fuel pump and get a strong unbroken stream of fuel out of the fuel bleed outlet. While cranking I get no coughing, no hesitation, no signs of the truck attempting to come to life. The glow plugs are getting 11v at the connector and I am getting 11v at the fuel solenoid wire on top of the injection pump. I have cranked the truck probably 15 times for 10-15 seconds at a time. I also installed a new fuel filter and new Wellman 050 plugs. I ran through -20 and I cannot find what my next step should be.

Thank you for your time.

dstang97

I would pull all of the GP out and manually test them. Then while they are out crack each injector line to bleed any air out of the system. make sure you have good batteries and a good starter too. report back with what you have found.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
....and I am getting 11v at the fuel solenoid wire on top of the injection pump. I......... I ran through -20 and I cannot find what my next step should be.

Thank you for your time.
There are instuctions in the -20 to test the injector pump. With the key on unplug the pink wire and reconnect it.

Do you hear the solenoid clicking?

NRGarrott

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

D-stang- I cracked the 4 closest lines cranked it and found diesel fuel and some bubbling around the nut where the line goes in. I also checked my plug resistance and found them to average 2.8 between the block and terminal on the plug.

Warthog- I waited until the buzzer went off so i could hear clearly and removed the wire..nothing no sound at all. I repeated it twice more with no sound at all. On the 3rd, 4th and 5th attempts i heard a clearly audible click. I think this is significant. I'm going to clean the connector up the best I can and await further instructions.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the pink wire connection does need to be cleaned.

If the solenoid in the injector pump does not energize, then no fuel will flow thru the IP.

dstang97

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

D-stang- I cracked the 4 closest lines cranked it and found diesel fuel and some bubbling around the nut where the line goes in. I also checked my plug resistance and found them to average 2.8 between the block and terminal on the plug.

Warthog- I waited until the buzzer went off so i could hear clearly and removed the wire..nothing no sound at all. I repeated it twice more with no sound at all. On the 3rd, 4th and 5th attempts i heard a clearly audible click. I think this is significant. I'm going to clean the connector up the best I can and await further instructions.
I would crack all 8 diesel do not like air.

NRGarrott

I cleaned the pink wire and pushed it down all the way. Then I cracked all 8 injectors and cranked about 5 times. The injectors that were cracked for the first time were dry. I checked voltage at the screw on top of the injector pump that the pink wire connects to. It was 0. I pulled the wire up and the voltage jumped to 12 as it made better contact. I cranked once more as my batteries were dying and I saw some fuel around the line.

The first picture is an injector that has been loosened a lot and cranked the most, the 2nd and 3rd pictures are barely cracked and cranked about 5 times.

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, sometimes your fuel shutoff is working. You need to replace or readjust the connector. It has to work all the time.

If your batteries are weak the the engine won't spin fast enough.

Fix the connector and charge the batteries. Then try again.

NRGarrott

Well I purchased 1 new battery and the other one is charged up. The connector was adjusted and I am getting 11v every single time. I removed the return line from the injection pump and replaced it with a clear line. While the motor is cranking with the line disconnected i get very little fuel flow, maybe 1 ounce in 10 seconds. With the line hooked up I have no air bubbles. I removed 1 glow plug while cranking the engine, nothing came out of the hole that I could see with a flashlight pointed right at it. Any ideas?

NRGarrott

UPDATE! First off my apologies to Warthog, I thought i was hearing the solenoid clicking in the IP, actually i was hearing my glow plug relay clicking on and off. I just went outside in my bathrobe and slippers in 30 degree weather because i had an epiphany. There is definitely no fuel coming out of my high pressure lines to my injectors. Also i have no clicking when i remove and reconnect my pink wire. Therefore i think i have either a bad IP or a bad fuel shutoff solenoid. I work 24 hours tomorrow but i imagine first order of business is to pull the cover off the IP and check the governor weight retainer ring and then look at this solenoid. Thanks everyone!

NRGarrott

Hello everyone. I am still having a devil of a time getting this M1008 in service. I had my IP rebuilt by a shop and reinstalled it. The truck started up quickly and ran very well for 2 days, and about 40 miles. The only issue was some stalling on deceleration followed by extended cranking to get a restart. Sounds like either air in the lines or a low idle speed. Or probably both. I parked the truck overnight 2 weeks ago and the next morning she failed to start. I ordered a spin on fuel filter base and converted to that. I have an electric airtex fuel pump installed, same model as on the early 90's 6.5's. After bleeding the air out of the fuel filter assembly I still have a cranks but refuses to start situation. With the help of WD-40 I can get the truck to run briefly. I have cracked all the injector lines, cranked until fuel seeped out around the lines with no bubbles. I also placed a clear piece of plastic tubing on the return line from the IP to hard line and discovered that after cranking air rises from the return line to form a bubble in the tubing. I thought I had a blocked return line so i moved the tubing into a plastic container, It made no difference. I believe my GP system is working, and I have 12v at the terminal on-top of the IP where the pink wire connects. Also utilizing a jumper I can see the fuel pulse in the clear return line when i connect power to the terminal on top the IP, leading me to believe the solenoid is in working order. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Im not sure of your issue as I had the same symptoms but once I bleed the lines, no problems. If you mange to get that beast running again, I would run a quart of dextron (ATF fluid) through your fuel tank. You may just have crap in your lines. It wouldn't hurt to drain your tank out first, then throw a quart of Dextron in and fill your tank. Let her run at idle for about an hour or so (if it stays running that long) and see what happens. You can also throw a quart of dexron in your oil next time you change it to help clean the crap out of your engine. Also, try pulling your air filter and breaking all your fuel lines loose from the IP and reconnecting them. I have found that quite often, that just because the fuel lines thread on, does not mean that the lines were actually seated. If you remove the fuel line hold down brackets, you can get alot more play in the lines and therefor give you enough play to seat the lines into the IP. You might be pulling in air from there.

NRGarrott

I didn't realize that they can thread on and not be seated, some didn't quite line up and I just threaded them on thinking it would seat itself. I will fix that right now.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Let me know how it goes. 3 of my lines were threaded on when I bought it but the lines werent seated so I was pulling air in and had constant problems starting it.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Ok, so you've bleed all possible air from the fuel lines. You can start it with WD40 (don't recommend you do that anymore). it cranks all day but doesnt fire. that leaves you with air or combustion. Check your air filter, I doubt thats your issue but you'd be pissed if you spent a bunch of money only to find out that some jack hole before you clogged your filter up with ether. Next, open the -20 manal and go to F-7 near the very end of the TM. That is your GP circuit schematic and is absolutely necessary for solving your problem. Also, page 2-63 through 2-65 gives you the steps to troubleshoot the GP module. Before you do all that, find someone to help you out. Have a voltmeter/multi meter hooked up to the bottom (if stock, if not the orange wire) stud of your GP relay. Have your assistant turn the truck to the run position (wait to start). If you do not get 12V out of that stud, more than likely your GPR is jacked. You should get 24V at the top stud (red wire) 12 at the 2 small studs (light blue and pink) and 12V at the bottom (orange) stud. If that checks out, follow the steps on page 2-63 to check your GP Module. Keep me posted.

M1008driver

FYI-I had my fuel pump, filter, and glow plugs changed. The next day the truck would not turn over. When I took the air breather assembly off it started right up. The injection pump wire may have been the problem. The green wire. I don't know much, but it was frustrating to have all that work done and not start.

hemi348

I know this sounds stupid and more than likely you did it right but, when you bled the air from the fuel filter you did it from the top of the filter right?

When I first got my m1009 I kept draining the bottom of the filter wondering why the truck wouldn't start. :roll:

NRGarrott

I appreciate all the help. I'm at work so I'm slow to respond but I have a new fuel filter assembly installed. It is a wix base with screw on filter. I filled the filter with fuel, assembled it till tight plus a 1/4 turn, then let the electric fuel pump run until clear, steady fuel came from the outlet of the wix base. My glow plugs are all new, and they show 12v at the spade terminal for about 20 seconds? until i hear a loud click when the voltage drops to 0. At this stage I am going to remove my glow plugs 1 at a time and check for fuel vapor when cranking. When I had my IP rebuilt the shop told me it was in pretty bad shape, I'm wondering if my fuel injectors are somehow clogged. I know im getting fuel through the lines so perhaps its the injectors. Also my air cleaner assembly is completely removed at this time so I dont think its an air problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks