• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not starting

dilligaf13

I've seen some similar issues on previous threads but they were cured short of this level. I was having some issues with a clicking when attempting to start my M35A2 but after a couple of pushes it would fire up. It finally progressed to only clicking. I replaced the batteries because they were an unknown age but looked crappy. No luck. Broke out the volt meter and got nothing at the starter. Tried jumping the solenoid and got nothing.

Replaced the starter and soleniod with newly rebuilt unit and she fired right up so I drove her around a bit.

Shut it off and the clicking resumed with no starting. Cleaned up the ground to the starter just for SNG and replaced the magnetic starter relay and still just clicking.

Jumped the ignition switch and still just clicking. It pull starts like a champ so it's ignition related.

I'm starting to get PO and have run out of ideas on possible causes? Any help is much appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So your saying you eliminated the switch as a possible bad part, the Relay, and the starter? If you jump from the + lead on the starter to the solenoid, it should turn over. If it doesn't I would say starter. Do you have a digital multi meter with a peak hold function? I would try clipping onto the lead going from the relay to the solenoid and see if that gets any voltage.

dilligaf13

I just jumper from the solenoid to the back of the starter and it sparked but did not turn over. My issue is it's a nely rebuilt unit and fired it right up the first time but not since. There's going to be a serious problem if this starter is junk.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like the starter. Can you budge the truck forward or backward? Maybe the flywheel is interfering?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mentioned that you had the problem before replacing the starter. Unless your luck is extremely bad and you are experiencing two bad starters, you need to look elsewhere. I hope you didn't dispose of the original starter, because it is probably still good. Start by removing all battery cable connections and clean them. Remove the ground connection and clean it thoroughly. Remove all other connections in the circuit and clean each and every one. Also, determine where the clicking is coming from. It is either coming from the starter relay or solenoid.

dilligaf13

I just ran cables directly from the positive lead off the battery to the back of the soleniod and from the battery ground to the back of the starter and still just clicking so I'm not sure what other connections could be a problem.

dilligaf13

I got a buddy to run the voltmeter while I tried to start it. Turns out the alternator is frozen up. It was getting low voltage on start up and the belt was just free spinning on the alternator when I pull started it.

Where's a good place to pick up an alternator?

dilligaf13

trouble starting (air pressure related)

I was having sporadic prblems with the Deuce just clicking and not starting. I've replaced the batteries, starter, alternator, and new magnetic relay which all were either old or not working. No luck still just clicking. Voltmeter shows good voltage at batteries and starter.

After I pull started it I let it run for a while to charge the batteries (just in case) and shut it off. It started right back up. I did this 3 or 4 times and it fired right back up each time. I let it sit for a while and after the air pressure bled off I tried to start it up and it just clicked. Any ideas?

Thanks.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BAD BATTERIES, air pressure nothing to do with it, batteries are NOT holding a charge or a shortt

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's best to continue a previous thread, rather than start a new one for a continuing problem. I merged your threads. I also noticed you have a non stock alternator installed, from your other posts. Perhaps all of your issues are related.

Most people will not look back at all your threads to get all the information available, to help you. That's why it's best to continue your old thread.

Big Ron

Where is your "clicking" coming from? I'm having the same problem as you. My clicking is coming from the Starter Relay. I'm getting the starter tested this weekend as well as the batteries load tested. My truck pulls off just fine, and alt is showing to be chargeing too. I'll let you know what my findings are after the weekend and maybe it will help you out.

dilligaf13

Alright looks like I got my answer. The new starter's solenoid plunger needed to be adjusted. It was not activating correctly and so the throw of the starter was not engaging fully. All it took was pulling the new starter back off, removing the solenoid, and adjusting the plunger all the way out. :sad: Oh well, it's running again. :p

Westex

Just be sure (also) to push the little red button real hard to get a good contact when you fire it off. Electricity, being a flow of electrons, likes a good contact.

mendo069

try something super easy... sounds crazy, but your situation sounds a lot like one i had.. when u push the starter button, make it a quick, hard push.... dont be nice to it... read somewhere that the current needs to be a shock to the system... you can replace the button, but the same rules apply... sharp hard push of button... try it.... could be that easy..aua

Westex

try something super easy... sounds crazy, but your situation sounds a lot like one i had.. when u push the starter button, make it a quick, hard push.... dont be nice to it... read somewhere that the current needs to be a shock to the system... you can replace the button, but the same rules apply... sharp hard push of button... try it.... could be that easy..aua
That is EXACTLY what I was talking about.

Mackfire68

Alright, I went to start the duece the other day for a display at a veterens golf outing and all I got was a loud click, no start. The low air warning alarm was sounding but would stop periodically after I pushed the red button. I tried charging the batteries individualy, cleaning the electrical ends and bypassing the selonoid by jumping the starter directly from the batteries. If I jump the starter it turns freely but when I jumped the selonoid all I get is the click. I removed the starter and tried it and it seams to be worrking fine out of the vehicle, motor spins and selonoid pushes gear out. I load tested both batteries, the one stays at 12 volts, the other dropped to 8 volts. Will the weak battery cause it to not start or would it turn the motor over slowly? I thought it was the starter but it seamed to work out of the vehicle (no load) I hate to spend money on a battery if it is some other issue. Any suggestions or ideas?

ApopkaFL

Banned
Alright, I went to start the duece the other day for a display at a veterens golf outing and all I got was a loud click, no start. The low air warning alarm was sounding but would stop periodically after I pushed the red button. I tried charging the batteries individualy, cleaning the electrical ends and bypassing the selonoid by jumping the starter directly from the batteries. If I jump the starter it turns freely but when I jumped the selonoid all I get is the click. I removed the starter and tried it and it seams to be worrking fine out of the vehicle, motor spins and selonoid pushes gear out. I load tested both batteries, the one stays at 12 volts, the other dropped to 8 volts. Will the weak battery cause it to not start or would it turn the motor over slowly? I thought it was the starter but it seamed to work out of the vehicle (no load) I hate to spend money on a battery if it is some other issue. Any suggestions or ideas?

YES one weak battery will keep it from starting. Remember these Deuces are 24v systems, with that one battery weak with 8vs you are now trying to use 20vs to start a 24v system.....