• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not sure

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$1; that's got to be a record! Think I would have gone with the D-60 though.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love the picture with the dash panel in the living room! Welcome and you saved a Steel Soldier from battle. Looks Great

TyJustice

Very nice! I like the look.

Interesting idea with the Hi-lift jack, first time I seen one mounted on the side. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Was only giving you a hard time in my first post-No hard feelings I hope.:wink:

TOG 5

Thanks again for all the complements
Sorry for not posting today, Have to work but I'll be back some time tomorrow with more info and images

TOG 5

Tmi

Took a couple of minutes off to post.
Thanks again for the compliments!

Mad Max is close to the truth around here. Between the crazy drivers who have never heard of a drivers manual or license, the wild life also doesn't know the rules of the road :cookoo:, speaking of that.

I was coming home about sundown on an old highway. I was cruising around 65 about half way over a very old 1 lane bridge when a full grown cow appeared directly ahead of me.
I shut the truck down the best I could and hit her doing 50 mph or so knocking the Holstein off her feet and onto her side. She slid over 60 feet with feet in the air looking back at me as if all her pain was my fault.
At this point, I'm thinking All right hamburger and steak on the hoof!!! (or off the hoof as it were).
But I watched her get up and take off running like I was chasing her which I was in short order!
But the owner heard the screeching of my tires as he had been looking for his escapee.
In Oklahoma a owner of a loose animal that causes damage can be held liable ....except ..... my truck had no damage aua

Also the other time I hit a cow was on a road near home again, they were trying to get this bull back into the field, he wasn't liking that idea and took off down the middle of the road.
Saw my truck and lowered his head, my truck won.
The bull lived since I was doing under 20 mph this time but he decided running though the fence back into his pasture was better then being butted by my CUCV.
Plus our own bull decides that butting my truck's bumper when I'm bringing in hay is fun, he always does it once then takes off for the far end of the field.

My wife is a rural mail carrier and I was helping her on the route one very icy winter day, a goof ball maroon in a S 10 pickup hit my rear bumper doing over 45 mph (according to the police report), my truck slid a few feet on the ice and the crash put his engine in his lap, took the ambulance about an hour to get there but the kid survived too.
My rear bumper is 1/2 inch out of alignment on one side from that crash.

I wont bore you with the Grand AM that pushed my truck into a city bus. The girl totaled out her car (Also according to the police report and insurance adjuster who spoke to me, I guess it doesn't take much on that year and model) and scratched my bumpers paint. The bus and my truck was unharmed.

I own a small fabrication shop and build stuff for 4 w/d owners and other customers which comes in handy with what happens on the roads around here!! rofl

The jack and some of the other stuff comes from when as a child I lived in the desert traveling around in an old WW II jeep. Things were different then and usually there was no one around to help but the buddy sitting next to you.

More today some time

Last edited:
Took a couple of minutes off to post.
Thanks again for the compliments!

Mad Max is close to the truth around here. Between the crazy drivers who have never heard of a drivers manual or license, the wild life also doesn't know the rules of the road :cookoo:, speaking of that.

I was coming home about sundown on an old highway. I was cruising around 65 about half way over a very old 1 lane bridge when a full grown cow appeared directly ahead of me.
I shut the truck down the best I could and hit her doing 50 mph or so knocking the Holstein off her feet and onto her side. She slid over 60 feet with feet in the air looking back at me as if all her pain was my fault.
At this point, I'm thinking All right hamburger and steak on the hoof!!! (or off the hoof as it were).
But I watched her get up and take off running like I was chasing her which I was in short order!
But the owner heard the screeching of my tires as he had been looking for his escapee.
In Oklahoma a owner of a loose animal that causes damage can be held liable ....except ..... my truck had no damage aua

At first I was gonna call BS at 50mph...but then I remembered what your front bumper looked like. That's what CUCV's should've come with in the first place.

TOG 5

I'll watch how much TMI I post.
Thanks every one the compliments.

I'm partial to the rat block my self!!

What I said is true and if I had not been in the process of shutting down, but a full head on hit at that speed I think their would have been damage.
I expected some.

My trucks frame is the 1976 not the after thought beefed up one from 1985 and there is a difference in metal, thickness and bracing.
It was a shock to me just how much of a difference there is.
My trucks frame is braced back past the first cross member nearest the extension welds.

I build for function not so much looks.
I tell my customers if they want pretty go to Smitty-built or some other Fab shop thats sprung up like weeds.
My bumpers and tubing are Structural Steel grade.
I don't powder coat or paint, I primer the metal to hold down any rust and let the customers due the rest.

IMHO, If the military had ok'd a few mod's to the CUCV's they would have done much better in the 1st Gulf war.
As you know they were never meant to be combat vehicles but some how still held up.
I'm not a veteran of that war, but of an earlier one.

Attachments

Last edited:

donalloy1

HOLY Moses! Those are some beefy looking Cactus Crunchers. Speaking of Beefy. Is that leftover hair/meat on screw pin shackle from 50mph Holstein Interface? Might as well put bumpers w/winches on sides also. I think its trick! Did you make plans that you can share?

bshupe

I love the "gauge" that shows the x and y orientation of the truck. Where did you get that and is it reasonably accurate?

Thanks for posting!

:popcorn:

TyJustice

I love the "gauge" that shows the x and y orientation of the truck. Where did you get that and is it reasonably accurate?

Thanks for posting!

:popcorn:

4x4 Plug-in Land Meter Inclinometer w/ Carbon Look-Shows Angle of Vehicle Tilt [E24364] : Electronic Gadgets, Home Gifts & Unusual Novelty Gifts - BestOfferBuy

There are many variables that come into play when using such a device(Lift, weight, roof rack-loaded or unloaded, tire pressure and manufacturer guidlines for stock vehicles, etc).

I just go by experience, feel and judgement mostly. I have never used one, maybe TOG 5 will be able to give you guidance on how he uses his.

TOG 5

I agree their are many variables that come into play.
I use it as a visual reminder and have a mark on the face at the point my truck feels iffy.
The inner ear can play tricks on you especially when you are on the down ward slope of an sharp angle.
Mine is very accurate and is easily adjusted by pulling off the back. Done that several times after my buddy the Mech got a hold of it. He shakes it like a paint shaker.

No fur on the truck but the cow had some serous road rash!

We have alot of deer to car or truck crashes around here which is another reason I built the bumpers so strong.
I've only had 1 bumper come back to the shop, a guy we call Crash Mc Cool who could destroy a tank. Asked for a double tube bumper on a Scout II, I built it out of 130 wall SS tube not knowing how this guy drives.
1 week later and its a pretzel.

plans? what plans??
I'll help if I can. :-D

Last edited:

donalloy1

Did you make an artists rendition of what you fabricated for front and back bumper ( plans )? I would be interested in seeing if you can share. Hard to tell exactly what you fab'd from pics. Want my baby to be Hostein proof also! Good luck with Crash Mc Cool. :popcorn: