• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not the usual Motor Oil vs Trans Oil thread

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Problem 1: My trans needs some fluid added.

Problem 2: When I check the dipstick, it looks like it's ATF and not motor oil. I obviously don't want to add the wrong one.

Actual question to the group: Is there an easy and definitive way to determine what's in the unit?

Truth be told, I haven't burned too many mental calories on this yet, but if someone has a good idea, I'm all ears. The only thing I am really coming up with is spilling a bunch out on a clean rag, or sending some off for testing. Not much in the middle...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can mix oil and atf. If you were switching between the two it would take several changes to get the majority of the other out. How low are you? I usually check with the trans up to temp running in neutral.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not actually intending to change between them, just want to get it topped back up.

I don't know volume-wise how much is out. Took it around the block after doing some work and had loosened a line to the cooler. Noticed a wet driveline upon pulling back in the driveway, so I tightened it up and checked the dipstick. I doubt it was up to temp (and assume it'd need to be, especially for ATF), so the reading might not be all that accurate, but it was down over an inch or so on the dipstick.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not actually intending to change between them, just want to get it topped back up.

I don't know volume-wise how much is out. Took it around the block after doing some work and had loosened a line to the cooler. Noticed a wet driveline upon pulling back in the driveway, so I tightened it up and checked the dipstick. I doubt it was up to temp (and assume it'd need to be, especially for ATF), so the reading might not be all that accurate, but it was down over an inch or so on the dipstick.
As far as i know allison only recomends transynd in them if warrenty is envolved ! It stings the first time but everyone that does it say it shifts smooth like a car .

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Problem 1: My trans needs some fluid added.

Problem 2: When I check the dipstick, it looks like it's ATF and not motor oil. I obviously don't want to add the wrong one.

Actual question to the group: Is there an easy and definitive way to determine what's in the unit?

Truth be told, I haven't burned too many mental calories on this yet, but if someone has a good idea, I'm all ears. The only thing I am really coming up with is spilling a bunch out on a clean rag, or sending some off for testing. Not much in the middle...
Best that you can do is guess - unless you spend a few bucks to have a lab analysis of the oil in your transmission. I searched (here) to see if there was anything new to be found. (No)

I found a 2005 thread about a company that I know still exists in Greensboro, North Carolina. Link for that is below along with a phone number. Cost at the time was very reasonable.

---

Another source is Blackstone Laboratories, Inc. in Fort Wayne, Indiana. You can search for them online, fill out a form and they will send you sample bottles and instructions on how to return them for examination.

To find threads about the process and others experience with their service, search with just the word "blackstone" in the SS search.

Just to make sure it is clearly stated: I am not an employee of that company. I get nothing for the recommendation. Just something I discovered in discussions here
and have used in the past. They will evaluate motor oil, transmission oil and gearbox oils. THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION nor ENDORSEMENT.

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everybody. To summarize:
  • There's no easy way to determine ATF vs motor oil
  • Running a mix won't hurt anything
  • Action Plan:
    • Warm it up
    • Check level
    • Add an appropriate amount of oil or ATF, either is fine
    • Get on with life
  • If I change to full ATF, use Transynd
Sound reasonable?

BERZERKER888

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a side note.. Transynd is very expensive…. $500-$600 + filters….but, when my retran was installed , Momma Allision advised use only Transynd not motor oil…. As for shifting smoothness using Transynd, considerably better both up and downshifting… but… since the Transynd has a greater viscosity, it takes much longer for the transmission to “warm up”…

Last edited:

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everybody. To summarize:
  • There's no easy way to determine ATF vs motor oil
  • Running a mix won't hurt anything
  • Action Plan:
    • Warm it up
    • Check level
    • Add an appropriate amount of oil or ATF, either is fine
    • Get on with life
  • If I change to full ATF, use Transynd
Sound reasonable?
uhm. I wouldn’t do most of that brother.
The SmeLL is different- oil doesnt smell like ATF.
I wouldnt mix the two-
If you cannot tell the difference, somebody did.

The two fluids have different functions.
( despite the apparent interchangeability, ie either or)

Drop it all out, flush, change filters, flush again.
Then add either or.
Im a OEM guy, and still use the stock motor oil in mine, and the AO up shifts smooth.
There are whole threads on this subject as well., most of the guys commenting here have seen the threads, In case you haven’t, heres a good write up, for an easy job.

Cheaper to go through full tranny service than replacement tranny... then climb them hills.

E18E17E9-CD40-4DB4-96F4-340A4B9FA8A3.jpeg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks