• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not your everyday military load...

91W350

I hope this goes better this time, I typed this all up and it crashed.... I will fill in later, do not care to blow the 20 minutes again. Glen

Attachments

91W350

Kansas Adjutant General's Department - Crisis City

The above link is for Crisis City, a National Guard project southwest of Salina on the old Smoky Hill AFB Bombing Range. Crisis City has a train, some collapsed buildings, rubble piles, etc for training first responders. I heard there was about 140 in this class. We donated some first class limos to be used for training. They came back with Jaw of Life marks, nicely peeled roof tops and some cleanly sliced door pillars. Some had crush evidence and had panels jacked back out. These photos are of Bud Boy in my deuce on the way out there, some photos of truck and load. A couple of unloading and you can see the north edge of one of the iron piles.

I am glad I got a chance to catch the truck coming in, as my salvage efforts were pretty much wasted. I broke some hand tools, bent an 18" adjustable jaw wrench and could not get some fasteners loose. Some days are like that. Hopefully these seven limos they used will help put some first responder at ease with his equipment when somebody's life is depending upon their response.

A fine camo Freightliner with a load of what appear to be crushed vehicles. Hmmm.... seems like I know of a fleet of 34 Internationals and Freightliners that haul similar loads about every day, only stacked a little taller. I thought some of you guys might enjoy the photos. Glen

Attachments

JAYHAWK 1962

thanks for sharing always fun to see what they do. if you ever get to see the jaws of life in some training operation do so it is pretty amazing what they can do.

91W350

When the age of hydraulics hit the rescue trucks, they started doing some amazing stuff at accident scenes. I was at an accident scene where two intoxicated young men slid an old 455 Grand Prix sideways into a tree in excess of 50 mph, I was sure they were dead. The dust cloud was enormous and sparks flew everywhere. It was an amazing thing to witness. Neither party appeared to be breathing when I got to the vehicle. The driver was being choked by the shoulder belt, I am sure it saved his life in the wreck. I cut the belt and rolled his head back to open the airway and he started coughing. The passenger had his legs stacked on top of each other, pinned between the transmission bell and the right frame rail. When the fire department arrived, they started clearing metal and it was amazing how quickly and cleanly they did it. They jacked the rail out enough to free his legs and off to the hospital they went. A broken collarbone for the passenger, that is it. At any rate, the Grand Prix was pretty short and exposed when the wrecker got it. You could clearly see in the right side.... 8)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
We let our FD/EMS use our facility to conduct extracation training because their training facility sucks and has no facilities.
We donate 50-75 vehicles per year for training Columbus folks and the West Central GSAR TF4A rescue teams.:D

It cost us some money in revenue...most of our auction buyers are salvage yards that sell auto parts, so the sheet metal is basically usless to them...BUT!!!

If a life is saved because a first responder got training we helped to provide...my life is just that much richer.:D

It's all about the mission.

91W350

I feel the same way PB, it is no loss for us though, he feels like selling parts is a waste of labor. More crushing and hauling time makes more money than pulling a part and having the buyer back out or want a refund or a cheaper price, or a return because the buyer misdiagnosed his problem. He is purely in it for the metal and he does a lot of it. I kind of got in the back door and he allows me to exchange parts for recovery and watching the auctions for him. It is a good deal for both of us. He goes to a lot of farm sales and people want to buy small items out of his lots, but they try to buy it while the bidding is going on. He just tells them to get with him after the auction and 90 percent of the people that do get the little stuff they wanted free. Very few will stick around to approach him though. He does not want to miss a few tons of iron trying to sell a tractor seat or air cleaner or a valve cover, or a milk can... On one hand it is hard to watch, on the other hand, I have clearly found out where he is coming from. He is a great guy and goes out of his way to help people, if they will let him. Glen

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It was our annual SUSAR Tech rescue conference and training. Folks from the various Kansas task forces get together for 3 days to sharpen skills and trade info. I am the old guy on the left. Thanks to your friend for furnishing some props.

Attachments

Last edited:

91W350

It is hidden in five ton row..... 8) No iron piles in that part of the yard. When I get done with them we drag them to the crusher pile. Unless something drastic happens, we are good for a while!