• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Not your regular Bobbed 6x6

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure what kind of truck you're wanting to shorten but here are 2 considerations. Ackerman angle. If you move the rear bogie assy up too far, you will be fighting to get it to turn. I can say this about a deuce but not so much on 5 tons. The rear driveshaft on a deuce tractor is fairly short. If one were to move the rears up even a foot, you would have to put limiting straps on that forward axle. There just won't be enough travel in the driveshaft to accommodate the amount of articulation that the rear suspension is capable of. Functionally, I don't think it's worth it. If you want to do it for looks, go for it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can certainly get a foot out of the middle, that would get you tractor wheelbase. You would have to carefully measure from there. You would also need to lose or relocate the 78 gallon fuel tank.

Im gonna fab a new fuel tank, i was thinking a sleeved drive shaft with splines. Im trying to be able to crest much better. Ofcourse these trucks hate hills but im gonna run 53" tires and maybe a 6bt cummins. Im extending the cab into an suv like the russian Trekol or Shaman. If any one has pics of a bobbed 2.5 or 5 ton post it please. (Even if their just two axled).

Im putting detroit lockers in both back axles anyway, its gonna slip in turns in 6 wheel drive. Not really a problem off road, on road i wont be in 6 wheel drive.
The reason im doing this is because ill be living in the wilderness of Alaska. The roads just end. With that being said im aware that there are places you just have to boat to or fly to.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just went back and checked out the pic of your truck from the towbar thread. It's got a drivers side tank. It's an M51 without bed or M52. It's got the same WB as the 818 I posted a pic of.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not going to matter where you drive or if you are in 2WD 4x4 or 6x6, that pesky steering geometry is going to be an issue.....but only if you turn.

Let me add this though, GM didn't compensate for ackerman angles on the 73-87 trucks. They were the same for blazers at 106" WB all the way to 164.5" WB of the crew cab. Maybe it won't be as much of an issue as I thought.

m715mike

Another 818 with 53" tires. The truck tractor wheelbase makes a big difference.

@98G,I understand that truck is for sale....

@SyrionDeathvow, I just googled Trekol. That is a cool look. I’m excited to watch your build.

@Recovry4x4, I’m googling Ackerman angle next.

Reactions: 98G

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another 818 with 53" tires. The truck tractor wheelbase makes a big difference.
This truck, with Detroit lockers in the rear and air locks in the front axle will be the best you can get in 5 ton. I'm not sure if the TC (1138) of the 818 can handle backing in low, but with 16.00 it will matter.

SgtMajHarper

I always enjoy coming on here and seeing what guys think about doing in their free time. The talent on here is awesome on how to make it work, what not to forget, stuff like that. A while back someone wanted to bob a duce or 5 ton, then put power to a trailer I believe so it would be an articulated 6x6. Someone posed the question then which I will go out on a limb and mention again......not to be a smart a$$, just trying to find an easy way out for something that already works.......why not just get an M561 Gama Goat and call it good? I know it's not the same kinda platform, can't haul as much...but it's already invented.

Hope there are lots of pictures and updates......best reading I get all winter long. Merry Christmas to everyone !!!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure if the TC (1138) of the 818 can handle backing in low, but with 16.00 it will matter.

what do you mean? Why wouldnt a transfer case be able to do reverse?
The 939series 5ton trucks have a 10:1 reverse gear. In low range, this is enough torque to break the transfer cases. Thus you can't back up in low range reverse in those trucks.

Not an issue in the older trucks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 939series 5ton trucks have a 10:1 reverse gear. In low range, this is enough torque to break the transfer cases. Thus you can't back up in low range reverse in those trucks.

Not an issue in the older trucks.
Can these transfer cases be swapped into the M39 series of 5 tons without too much difficulty? Assuming they are air shaft rather than sprag type?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks