• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Now I'm a liar

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
What about the last GP on the right side of a 6.5 TD, I can't even see it let alone change it. I have not changed it and my truck still starts well with the other seven SS plugs. Will that loner eventually give me problems that will force me to find it?
No, this is a CUCV only problem caused by the firewall resistor in series with the glowplugs. If that plug goes bad, it will just be a little harder to start in the cold, but probably not very noticeable. Civvy trucks pull directly from the batteries (12V parallel) and therefore cannot see an increase in the voltage like this.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rizzo said:
so I need to put 8 new glow plugs in and then test the voltage?
Yeah, but you must test it loaded and don't test it for long. Or, just hook them to the 12V junction and don't worry unless you are stone dead and need a slave start.

rizzo

CUCVFAN said:
rizzo said:
so I need to put 8 new glow plugs in and then test the voltage?
Yeah, but you must test it loaded and don't test it for long. Or, just hook them to the 12V junction and don't worry unless you are stone dead and need a slave start.
that is what I was thinking of. unhook the 24v line from the resistors and tape off. then run a 12v line from the battery.

Do I need any type of fuse?

should I run it from the 12v block on the fire wall?

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's where most people move it to. No fuse needed. The wire is almost the perfect length as it is. Remove it from the resistor and move it to the junction. The plugs are not in use very long or when you are using lots of accessories, so you should not overload the wire. To be safe, just make sure you don't try to start the truck with the headlights on, wipers on and heater fan on high. :shock:

rizzo

Ok, Napa had the 60g plugs for $10.49. I'm going to install them, change my wire and see what happens.

I will report back.

It will be nice to have my pickup back!!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
with all this issue over burned resistors, seems like someone would have figured out the resistance and used a resistor 4 or 5 times larger in wattage than necessary..

rizzo

I installed AC 60g plugs today and tested the voltage from the resistor. it was 24 until I jumped the relay then dropped down to 11 ish. the truck started right away. I am still going to run a second wire to twelve volt.

rizzo

I don't think this guy knows what he is talking about

Hi,

Resistors are tested under NO load. Thats basic electricity 101. I have a BS degree in electrical engineering from my previous career.

I had advised if you send them back, and I will investigate this, as we've never sold any other brand then Wellman. I cannot promise warranty, but I will see what I can do. And please read our warranty policy page on the website. It states "limited warranty" not "unconditional" warranty. But you saying they are a different brand just makes no sense. But I am willing to look at them and discuss this with Wellman.

Thanks,

Walt
SSDiesel Supply
977 Military Rd
Kenmore, NY 14217
ph 716-874-6900
fax 716-874-6966
www.ssdieselsupply.com

Quoting Kevin <kevin>:

> I installed the plugs myself.
>
> I installed another set of plugs yesterday and checked the voltage
> from the resistor while my friend turned the key. It is 24 volts until
> the key is turned then goes to about 11v. According to the guys in my
> MV club, for the resistor to work current has to be drawn through it.
> With no load it shows 24v. I proved this by testing it with a new set
> of plugs. On your web page it says unconditional guarantee. I am going
> to wait a few weeks before sending my plugs back to you. I want to see
> if I have any problems with the new plugs.
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Walt [mailto:walt@ssdieselsupply.com]
> Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 6:08 AM
> To: Kevin
> Subject: RE: Inquiry for SSDiesel Supply
>
>
> Hi,
>
> Manually working the plugs will damage them too. They can only see
> 24volts for a slit second to heat up quickly, then 12 volts to
> maintain heat. Its a system designed for military vehicles to exit
> fast when under enemy fire. They cannot see a continuous 24 volts.
>
> Did you originally install these plugs from us yourself? I won't make
> any promises, but send them back to me as I am really curious. We sell
> 600 plugs per week and it just wouldn't make sense the factory would
> put a competitors brand plug in the box. But I am willing to
> investigate this.
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Walt
> SSDiesel Supply
> 977 Military Rd
> Kenmore, NY 14217
> ph 716-874-6900
> fax 716-874-6966
> www.ssdieselsupply.com
>
>
> Quoting Kevin <kevin>:
>
>> Just checked the output of the resistor and it is 24 volts
>>
>> Checked the output to the wire that hooks to the glow plug itself and
>> that is 24v also.
>>
>> That is probably why the plugs failed.
>>
>>
>> Also pulled the other two plugs out that were stuck and they are wellmans.
> I
>> still have 1 AC 11g plug that you sent me. It is not the cause of my
>> problems, but I still have it.
>>
>>
>>

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure what his point is? You do test the resistance of a substance under no load with an ohm meter, but your last under load test seems to indicate the resistor is fine.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
well.. he does have a "BS" degree.. Resistors can be tested in or out of the circuit and with no load (ohm-meter) or with load (measuring voltage drop across resistor and current through resistor, etc ) If the voltage drops friom 24 to 12, then the resistor would seem to be in order.

I assume this is a regular resistor and not some temperature or voltage dependent variant. If you have an ohm-meter, preferrably a digital one, why not disconnect the resistor and measure its resistance? That would be of interest. There's a large old-school surplus electronics store near me, I could check for high-wattage substitutes that would likely never ever burn out, short, or do other un-resistorly things. It would be worth it to save controllers in the long run, no?

mangus580

OPCOM said:
I assume this is a regular resistor and not some temperature or voltage dependent variant.
Actually I am pretty sure they are one of the latter 2. I am pretty sure thats part of the controller function.

CUCVFAN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a standard, wire wound resistor. The resistance should be 0.28 ohms +/- 5%. Any normal variation of temperature would not affect the resistance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks