• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP208 front output shaft seal-Can't seem to find one & I'm stumped

georgia mike

I've been dealing with a leaky NP208 front output shaft seal on my 1008 for a little while now and decided to go ahead and fix it. Very easy job to tackle but not so easy to find the part, it seems. All of the parts houses around my area either say it's not available, or only lists the NP205 seals. Advance, Autozone, O'Reilly are all the same = no dice. Even my old fall-back Rock Auto doesn't list it and only lists the 205. I can look under K10 instead of K30 and the 208 comes up there. My only concern is that the output flange's shank may be a larger diameter on a K30 vs a K10.

Am I just being paranoid and over thinking it, or is the seal actually different between a K10/K30 NP208c?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa 47726

georgia mike

Thank you sir

Edit: I must be doing something wrong. I searched NAPA site and that part number does not exist. I'll continue the search.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post the part number you ordered or bought, that way someone else may find this thread someday and get the info.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you sir

Edit: I must be doing something wrong. I searched NAPA site and that part number does not exist. I'll continue the search.

Thanks again.
Using the napa interchange application the 299400435 part number crosses to Napa Oil Seal NOS 18771.

georgia mike

Timken 3946
Application is listed for a 1986 Chevy K20 NP208 front output seal. Putting it in tomorrow. If I don't update this post to the contrary, this should be the one needed.

Once again, thanks for the help!

hoplite666

Replaced that same seal awhile back. Noticed some drip drip drip action still going on afterwards. Finally got around to putting a sleeve on the output shaft (it was a little marred up). Just wrapped that up the other day. Simple enough. Upon inspection it still seems as though its sweating fluid out from the seal area. Ugh. To be honest I wouldnt doubt that the seal seat area is a little marred up from pulling the old one out but it would very vey minor if at all.
Thoughts?
IMAG0592.jpg

Last edited:

cucvrus

My thoughts are I would put some Permatex The Right Stuff on the seal flange and hammer it in place. That would take care of some of the imperfections on the tail-shaft housing of the transfer case.

Zmann

Using the napa interchange application the 299400435 part number crosses to Napa Oil Seal NOS 18771.
to validate and to thank this thread for the help the Napa seal 18771 (SKF) is a double lip seal like it should be and fits perfectly in the 208 front output

$_57.jpg

FrankenCub

Replaced that same seal awhile back. Noticed some drip drip drip action still going on afterwards. Finally got around to putting a sleeve on the output shaft (it was a little marred up). Just wrapped that up the other day. Simple enough. Upon inspection it still seems as though its sweating fluid out from the seal area. Ugh. To be honest I wouldnt doubt that the seal seat area is a little marred up from pulling the old one out but it would very vey minor if at all.
Thoughts?
View attachment 575992
I need to replace my seal as well, t-case came from a civi truck so I'm sure it has quite a few miles on it. Does NAPA stock those sleeves? I should have changed them when I put this case in but needed to get the truck on the road ASAP. Doesn't leak bad but still marks it territory like a Harley.

Zmann

Nice.
I did not know they had those available
Drive shaft adapter seal area looked ok. But not nearly as smooth and polished as that sleeve

Zmann

Also remember there is a rubber seal behind the one time use nut that holds the adapter on the splined shaft. So oil can travel down the splines and escape if the rubber washer seal is bad. It will look like your new seal is leakingnp205yokenut.jpg

Last edited:

FrankenCub

Thanks a bunch, part number saved ;)

Also remember there is a rubber seal behind the one time use nut that holds the adapter on the splined shaft. So oil can travel down the splines and escape if the rubber washer seal is bad. It will look like your new seal is leakingView attachment 689091
I've been looking through TH34p and there isn't a rubber seal shown, just the nut and lock washer.

Zmann

Mine is an 81 civilian Jimmy
I read a mention of the rubber seal
And found a place to buy them.
Upon disasembly i found mine had the rubber washer in place. So i put a little RTV on it
And reused it.
I found it shown on some diagrams for the 208
I will post some info later when i am near pc