• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NP218 help

CanadianAR

So my truck had pretty low t-case oil when I got it. I flushed it with new oil and drained a day later. Installed new. I had wondered why so low, no sign of a leak, I’ve been watching and finally after a few weeks and a decent 45 min drive, I have signs of a leak, looks like the seam were the rear cone shaped housing attaches to the main body. Looks like 6-8 bolts round mating surface. I see the speedo drive coming out the top, but doesn’t look like it.

Anyways, I checked the maintenance manual but it doesn’t go that in-depth. Does any one have a manual for the T case itself? Or know if that housing can be easily removed and reinstalled without everything inside falling To pieces.

Thanks!
I’ll come back and add a photo in a bit.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would try YouTube… I have to watch something be done sometimes. I can do a lot from a diagram but video is nice. I will watch it 2 or 3 times and get busy…

CanadianAR

Bolts are tight, I think I found the manual. I expected that rear cone to have more inside then just the speedo gear.
Looks like I just need to remove that speedo drive and yoke and I can reseal the housing, wasn’t high on my list to learn but that’s what’s happening

Am I better to undo the c shaped retainer bolt and pull up the whole speedo drive or undo the cable but first?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the speedo cable but you can leave the gear etc. in place.
EDIT, of course you want to replace the rear seal

CanadianAR

Its all in the TMs,, I did a complete tear down and rebuild along with the 3L80,, Was fun :p

View attachment 878528View attachment 878529View attachment 878530View attachment 878531
Nice!
I don’t mind rebuilding it if need be, but at this exact point, everything works, and I’m catching up on decades of overdue maintenance. Lol
My completed list is getting longer then to do, but still a a bit away from rebuilding items on a proactive basis. Probably one day though as my plan is to slowly go through everything. But also trying to make the truck my own along the way, and time and money…..only so much of each.

Did the speedo drive part come out and go back in easy?

Reactions: OBX