• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nubi but..axle question

burger3026

what is the air shift front axle? and why do I want it. here is what I plan on doing with a truck. I have a jeep now and like to go camping and wheeling on the weekends. I have two other friends that have just bought A2's so I'm trying to do more research then they did. first post so take it easy on me haha.

sandcobra164

I'll do it before doghead does. Search!

An air-shift front axle is just like a sprag front axle. The answer is in the transfer case. Try using the search button and type in "air shift transfer" and you should come up with a wealth of knowledge.

Welcome to Steel Soldiers!!!

rlwm211

OK, I will explain, or at least try to....

In the older Deuce and five tons, they used a "sprag" type of transfer case which engaged the front axle if slippage was occuring. Otherwise the front axle was free to operate slightly out of snyc with the rest of the truck which is necessary for ease in steering and avoiding driveline binding.

There are inherent problems with the design and it is something that needs to be kept in adjustment and monitored. Serious damage can occur if the truck is allowed to slide backwards while the rears are in forward motion and vice a versa as to reverse.

On the deuce, they changed the sysytem of engagement so that an air actuator engages the front axle, and only upon driver request via an air switch in the cab. This is very much the same as your contemporary 4WD with the shift on the floor for 4X4.

Sprag equipped trucks generally cannot be equipped with lock out hubs like an air shift equipped truck can.

The military made the upgrade to reduce maintanence and problems with the sprag design and most of the deuces that have or are coming out now are air shift equipped. Occasionally, and I say OCCASIONALLY, a Sprag transfer case 2-1/2 ton truck comes out of the military, or government service and is available for auction. Not being an expert on the five tons, I will state that most of the 5 tons have a sprag type of system.

On the whole, almost everyone would tell you they prefer the air shift for absolutely trouble free operation.

While it is possible to upgrade a Sprag truck to an air shift transfer case. It is heavy work, dealing with very heavy and unbalanced weights of the transfer case, and then you have to add the air shift switch and indicator wiring along with the necessary air plumbing.

Don't be afraid to ask questions but do expect many to encourage you to use the search feature because if you do, you will end up learning all sorts of stuff you would not otherwise be exposed to. Part of the hobby is learning and spending time solving your problems in the form of the questions you have.

My advice in using the search is to be as simple as possible in your search terms and that will return you the most results that are linked to your search string. You can always search again and add more to limit the results, but always start basic or general in content.

I do hope this helps, and enjoy the hobby, or addiction depending on how it affects you.

RL

:D

sandcobra164

rlwm211 spent quite some time typing and articulating his response and did an excellent job in the process. If I weren't working 7 12's right now(12 hours a day, 7 days a week), I'd explain a little better. There's alot of people on this site that want you to search some to find the answers and you will. Air Shift trucks coming from auctions (GL, GSA or however you get the truck) most always come with an "air shift front axle"

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
I dont know where it came from but my 1953 gasser has a shifter activated transfer case. looks factory but could be aftermarket

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks