• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nuclear 5 tons.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The later W31 warhead fitted to Honest John rockets had a yield up to 30kt. Many were also fitted with 1500lb conventional warheads. I find the Army tactical nuke era fascinating. Most folks don’t realize how many tactical atomic weapons were forward deployed with Army formations.
We suspected it; they were in our back garden .. no joke, literally.

That was one of the reasons there was a very large and peaceful demonstration against nuclear weapons in the Netherlands in November 1981. The Dutch government was going to decide in December 1981 if long-range US nuclear cruise missiles were going to be stationed in the Netherlands or not, and the Dutch people wanted to stop that. Apart from being against ANY nuclear weapon, these weapons would be under complete US control and could be launched without Dutch control or even warning including for a preemptive strike.

anti-kernwapens.jpg

Poster: No new nuclear weapons in Europe (notice "no NEW" ).
Basically, we did not want to be the proxy for a US-Soviet war, having to cope with nuclear fall-out on the ground, which at that moment seemed like a serious possibility.

Imagine placing Dutch nuclear rockets in California or Texas with the threat that we, the Dutch, would fire them against the Mexicans at will and without informing the US people. And the Mexicans could fire their nuclear rockets at our nuclear rockets as preemptive strike as well. ".. Not my problem"..., I do not live there. Quite a lot of US citizens would go ape.

The Dutch Government very long denied there were US controlled nuclear weapons in the Netherlands other then the small nuclear grenades mentioned earlier. In 2013, they finally admitted that such larger weapons actually have been and are in the Netherlands.

It is a public secret that even today there are approximately 10-20 modern nuclear bombs in the Netherlands, to be used with the new F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. Far enough from Russia to have warning for incoming, close enough to be used efficiently against oncoming Russian targets.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks