• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

numbers written in white on frame and firewall of my M1031

offthegrid

Somewhere I read the military dismanteled the cucv's then rebuilt them and marked the numbers in the order that the were rebuilt on the frame rail and firewall. Can anyone explain this as to why and when they did this to the cucv's ? I read most cucv trucks have very little use and are low mileage . So why the need to rebuild them other than because of age. What was the reason and what was all rebuilt on them at that time? Thanks for your help in advance. Love this Web site. It's so helpful. Does this site take donations to help keep it up and running?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You can also follow the"UPGRADE" button at the top of the page, $15 a year and you can also post for sale items. In answer to your question, I have never heard about white numbers or a CUCV rebuild program, but my 1009 has the Julian date written in marker on firewall by fuel filter when it was last changed also on the vent valve PCV thingy whose proper name escapes me. We are visual so some pictures of the numbers you have may help.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone on the assembly line at GM wrote those numbers on your components. CUCVs were repaired as needed but never went through a typical military overhaul where cabs were pulled from frames and everything sandblasted, etc.

cucvrus

That was line set numbers for assembly purposes. At the time that was how GM did that. Now they have bar codes to scan each part during the assembly process. We used to use the same numbers on our assembly line but now we have upgraded to hand held scanners and PC's at each work station to report up to date where each vehicle is in the assembly process. I am glad the military never tore the trucks apart and reassembled them. Assembly line work is much more efficient and accurate then a tear down and reassemble could ever be. I have seen how the military put a few of these CUCV's back together. Or tried to. Many times less then desirable results. Have a great day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks