• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

numbers

emr

fast answer...It is called a bridge plate because it has the total weight of truck loaded and or the total weight of truck loaded with trailer or anything behind it , if trailer is in the number the red C should be placed be the top place, meaning something in tow,if no tow then it should have the blank side out. that is why the numbers are changeable ,there must be a gazzilion posts on this search for more info.. good luck... oh there is a number painted on the passenger side door in many instances that is the set vehicle weight dry,

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The vehicle classification number represents the effects of the vehicle on a bridge while crossing it. The effect ia a combination of gross weight, speed of the crossing, and the impact loading of the vehicle on the bridge. The FM 5-36 covers this. Generally wheeled vehicles are about 85% of gross weight in tons (from DD's catalog of MV's).

Zeek

I do not understand. Maybe I called it the wrong thing. This is a 8" circle with a set of changable numbers. You can place any two diget number. What do the numbers mean? If it is the weight is it in tons, like a 2 and 5 means 25 tons, etc. Is there paperwork that explains the meanings?
Thanks for the help, I am new at this.

Zeek

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not understand. Maybe I called it the wrong thing. This is a 8" circle with a set of changable numbers. You can place any two diget number. What do the numbers mean? If it is the weight is it in tons, like a 2 and 5 means 25 tons, etc. Is there paperwork that explains the meanings?
Thanks for the help, I am new at this.

Zeek
It is a bridge plate. Look in the FM 5-36 for an explanation. It is also in David Doyles-Standard Catalog of Military Vehicles in the back. What I posted put's it in the most basic way. EMR brought up another good point. The "C" shows a combined weight and is also located in the charts in both books.[thumbzup]

emr

yea its what we said it was , good luck :) see the red "C" if u put that out it means like said U have something in tow and the weight is a combined weight, if u do not have anything in tow the blank side should be out and the number means your trucks total weight, loaded, but if u are empty it should show that like a 08 or possibly a 09 for your truck i do not know if the 109 is heavier than the cargo i would think so, a standard deuce cargo should have a 08 on the front when empty, there for on the passenger side door in a six inch circle or an 8 inch circle depending on unit i think it should be in the upper right hand corner of the door 08. before the multis if u had a gasser a 06 would have been correct i believe ... now u really need Davids book :) to figure all that out... good luck

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct bridge plate numbers are:

Truck.......Unloaded.......Loaded
M35...............5.................10
M35/M105.....7.................12.......Use the "C"
M109.............7.................10

Last edited:

emr

good info, ... on a door, rick larsen sells the 6 or 8 stencils for the doors, and i also have only seen the 8 painted on doors, but we are talking bridge plates, and like u said its a percentage thing of a moving vehicle over a bridge., so the door is under a different set of rules i think ?, as for the correct uses, I see any driver just putting on the upper ( next ton idea ) number to be safe, thats what they would do in the truck co. here... :) but it sure is better to know and understand the correct way I think, good info,,,,

nattieleather

The bridge plate is the weight of the truck, but the purpose for the bridge plate is really simple. If the engineers build a temporary bidge across a body of water they have a weight limit for that bidge. To heavy of a truck and the truck can not go over the bridge. So the driver of the truck or the motor pool NCO or the CO sets the weight of the vehicle on the bridge plate. Then when the drive gets to the temp bridge his plate number has to be equal to or less than the bridge's posted number. If the truck is marked a 08 and the bridge is marked 10 then he can drive over the bridge, but if the bridge was marked 06 then find a different way bub because you'll muck up the bridge. It is a way to keep things moving. The system was developed during WWII and works well.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bridge plate is the weight of the truck, but the purpose for the bridge plate is really simple.
The plate is NOT the weight of the truck. The FM 5-36 emphasises that the classification is not a weight (page 101). Weight is one of the many factors used to come up with the classification. It specifically shows what is involved with getting the number. It starts around page 96.aua

http://www.survivalismforum.com/free%20manuals/1960%20US%20Army%20Vietnam%20War%20Route%20Reconnaissance%20&%20Classification%20293p.pdf

Last edited:

M-37Bruce

I was going to suggest Rick Larsen at Mil Stencils, but his links aren't working? The last time I saw 'em they were going for 35, I gave 15 ten years ago? I guess you can check epay for George's contact info, if you get him, ask him what happened to Rick?
I guess 42.50 isn't out of the question.
Good Luck,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks