• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nuts and Bolts

derrickd95

I found myself today in home depot getting bolts for my jerry can holder for the back of my M1009 went in twice but still got the wrong bolts and said F it. So this got me to thinking why not list the bolt sizes and screw sizes for different parts to help everyone out. Like the bolt size that holds the antenna bracket on or the bolt size that holds the radio rack in etc. etc. Just list what it is and the size and if it can be used on other vehicles as well. Tanks all

linx310

Watch out on the bolt sizes with the CUCVs...mine were a mix of metric and standard and it was straight from the Army. Others on here have reported the same thing. According to the TMs I think they are supposed to be metric but that was not the case with mine.

Since these were built during GM's "transition" phase it seems like they may have used what was available.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/62064-so-cucvs-metric-not.html

Apoc Bane

Good to hear to be on the look at for.

I just need one bolt, my roommate lost one while trying to screw it in. I'm pretty positive it's metric as the others are 10mm.

Dodge man

Better yet go to a surplus store and get real mil-spec hardware! Yesterday I made my second run to SkyCraft in Orlando and I loaded up on stainless steel and cadmium dichromate plated nuts, bolts and washers for my M-37. Average price is $.20 to $.30 each for SS and $.10 to $.15 for plated nuts and bolts and 1/2 to 1/3 of that for washers. Everything is new, fine thread Mil surplus. I'm using as much stainless steel for the external parts as possible to eliminate future rust problems but painting it, which seems a shame! I'm using mostly cad dichromate inside but may not paint all of it. I haven't decided yet. placed I'm also using the proper number of flat and lock washers and I'm using Ny-Locks whenever possible to prevent hardware lose.

Attachments

motomacguyver

I have found Fastenall to be a good walk in source for hard to find larger stuff. And a Company call McMaster Carr out of Chicago to have all the real strange stuff. (S.S. left hand thread metric) etc. Both are not the cheapest but not to out of line. Farm and Fleet sells english hardware in grade 3,5,8 by the pound. I have seen grade 8 for 1.99$ a pound there.

"don't do anything your not proud of"

Motomacguyver

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks