• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nutserts and install tools

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

I want to install some additional antenna mounts on my blazer and was looking at the AT series nutserts and install tools to do this... the only issue I have with the nutserts is that the flange on the newer ones is considerably narrower than the originals I currently have in the stock mount locations right behind the doors. Does anyone think this could pose a problem with lateral strain being transmitted through the mount from antenna movement? Or, does anyone know where I can get the original style nutserts with a suitable install tool that have the wide flange?

thanks

Ziggy

TOG 5

I bought a great air tool with multiple heads for installing nutserts on ebay. Well worth the $150, but I use it alot too.
IMHO, stay away from the manual type install tools. They don't seem to tighten down enough and the nutsert will work lose in a short amount of time.
The military nutserts I picked up pretty cheaply at a locale nut/bolt fastener store.

LanceRobson

A high leverage hand tool will set you back around $300 with a single mandrel. You can get any kind of thread-sert you want if you hunt hard enough. I use aluminum, steel or stainless inserts depending on application and even have some for blind holes (including in thick Lexan)

If you can get a decent price on an air tool with multiple mandrels that may be the way to go.

Lance

Stalwart

I agree the usual squeeze type rivet pullers are no good. I got one of these and it has no problems with 1/4-20 steel and stainless steel rivnuts. The directions suck but the tool works well and pulls them with ease. Do your adjustments carefully, it'll pull out the threads in aluminum ones with little pressure. I recommend a test rivet first to set the proper pull length.

Amazon.com: Import RK21 Blind Rivet/rivet Nut 2-in-1 Installation Tool: Industrial & Scientific

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks