• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NV4500 swap a sucess

ODdave

dont know why you linked a pick of the mounts.....they are exactly as i described in post 14. I have 8+ 4500's with the factory mounts, Kinna familiar with them.....

acesneights1

I don't think you are getting what I am saying..The factory one does line up but the Energy sus one for a 93 k3500/NV4500(the summit link I posted) does not. why I could not tell you but it doesn't. I still like the way the mount looked so I used it. it was free. Took only a few minutes to drill for it.

acesneights1

Because,I was scratching my head as well as to what the **** the mount fit but after I looked it up on Summit, I gave up and just use it....
I like the 3 bolts holding it better anyway.

acesneights1

OK...You win... :rofl:
I went outside (It is 11;30pm) and measured my Burb and the CUCV. I stand corrected. If you DON"T use the center bolt...the two outer bolts on the ES mount do line up with the factory mounting holes on a 90's GMT400...
BTW if anyone is interested, it's 4.5 inches center to center.

reloader64

I'm glad you posted this thread. I'm doing the exact same thing to my civvy truck. The only difference is, the transfer case from a TH700 will not bolt up to the NV4500. Guess I need a transfer case from a CUCV.

Scott

ODdave

I'm glad you posted this thread. I'm doing the exact same thing to my civvy truck. The only difference is, the transfer case from a TH700 will not bolt up to the NV4500. Guess I need a transfer case from a CUCV.

Scott
Or change the input shaft. I think i have a few extra.

acesneights1

I just realized I did not post a pic of how I dealt with the crossmember. Again, I was too lazy to look for a TH700 one. This was easy and just as good. I used to do this with my lifted trucks running 44's anyway.

Attachments

acesneights1

What I would like to find is the coveted circular pattern NP205. A guy I know has one and I laid the gasket on it and it lined up. I have a spare NV4500 I am going to bring to his shop to see if it bolts up. Then of course getting him to part with it..$$$. I don't like the idea of having an NP208 running ATF mated to an NV4500 that need Special synth oil. If that seal lets go, my synchros are done for. With an NP205 I could run the same oil in the tranny in the 205.

acesneights1

Well i guess it worked out for the better that it had bolts, That spacer woulda sucked with the studs.
Yeah, I would have had to put it between the tranny and the mount or painfully try to get nuts in the square stock. I used grade 8 bolts. I dount it's going anywhere. Considering the junk Chinese made Autoparts mounts hold 'em that should be no prob...

ODdave

What I would like to find is the coveted circular pattern NP205. A guy I know has one and I laid the gasket on it and it lined up. I have a spare NV4500 I am going to bring to his shop to see if it bolts up. Then of course getting him to part with it..$$$. I don't like the idea of having an NP208 running ATF mated to an NV4500 that need Special synth oil. If that seal lets go, my synchros are done for. With an NP205 I could run the same oil in the tranny in the 205.
.....Do i dare respond?......

You will find that the shift fork shaft is going to hit the flange on the 4500, You can modify the 4500 to clear though. You will also need a spacer to go between the 2 as they will bottom out on each other before the surfaces contact.

Last edited:

acesneights1

.....Do i dare respond?......

You will find that the shift fork shaft is going to hit the flange on the 4500, You can modify the 4500 to clear though. You will also need a spacer to go between the 2 as they will bottom out on each other before the surfaces contact.
rofl
Yeah actually that was what it kinda looked like when I laid the gasket on it and when I measured the input shaft it was real close so I believe you. I have heard guys just cut the output shaft down on the NV. I am not sure how that would be done..I think that would be a bit much for a hacksaw......:p
So you confirmed what I already thought . Does anybody make the spacer ? I am not scared of notching the midsection to clear the shifter. Even if I pulled the output shaft out of the NV and put it on my lathe I don't think it would be so easy to cut that down. Grinding it may affect the temper no ??
A spacer seems like the smart way to go.

Last edited:

acesneights1

I am loving this thread. Seriously making me consider a 4500 over a 700r4:driver: Thanks for all the pics and detail posts :beer:
I wouldn't do it any other way now after doing this. It really wasn't that bad although I am at a crossroad with the starter issue. My choice is shell out 300$ for a 24v GR or convert the truck to 12v and use the 12vGR I have. Really other than it starts better with 24v there are way more pro's to converting to 12v.
1)I would have both batterys as a buffer when running my winch.
2)I could convert to serp belt and I have a 250 amp alt that will bolt up off a 6.5TD ambulance.
3)I could now hook up a tach off the signal generated by the new alt.
It frees up a spot on the motor for future a/c compressor. I have a Mark IV under dash unit for the truck.
I have to lose the big group 31 batts anyway to accommodate a turbo.

Firejareen

May sound somewhat noob-ish but how did you run the reverse switch? Meaning, exactly how did you wire the reverse lights? There are two wires off the tranny..what did you wire them to?

Atwater

did much the same swap only i used the later version nv4500 with the internal slave cyl. pegasus racing had the adapters for the clutch line so i could use a universal an flexible brake line.
the problem with your starter is that you have the nose cone for a auto, just swap it for the stick shift application version:beer: had the same problem with mine, lucked out and got the right one off ebay.
yes the nv4500 swap is a great mod for these trucks, now if i could just get around to that 3.73/5.9l swap.........8)

Last edited:

ODdave

ace, If i remeber corectly AA has the spacer & shift linkage for the 205/4500 for around $100.

Also would you like me to take a pick of the 205 (with rail removed) slid on the back of a 4500 so you can get an idea of where the notch has to be?