• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nv4500 swap

Kellyboy

Hi all, I plan on doing the nv4500 swap/turbo install on my m10008. I have scoured this site and many others for info and have a pretty good handle on what is needed. The only thing I am unsure of is which years pedal assembly will work. I have found a 93 3500 with the 6.5 and 5 speed for $1500. I plan to scoff all the parts needed for the tranny and turbo job. My big question is will the pedal assembly work for the swap? Flywheel too?

Patattack

With metal modification anything will fit. I bet if you find one from a 73-87 c/k truck I bet it will bolt up. 93 are different body's but like I said before with metal modification it Will work, swaps require reengineering and modification to get the job done if you don't want to use correct year parts. The flywheel will work 6.2-6.5 have the same bolt pattern crank and are all have the same gm trans pattern.

Kellyboy

With metal modification anything will fit. I bet if you find one from a 73-87 c/k truck I bet it will bolt up. 93 are different body's but like I said before with metal modification it Will work, swaps require reengineering and modification to get the job done if you don't want to use correct year parts. The flywheel will work 6.2-6.5 have the same bolt pattern crank and are all have the same gm trans pattern.
Thanks, I kinda figured this much but was hoping it would bolt right up. Having a hard time finding a square body pedal assembly that they don't want $400 for (highway robbery). Thanks for confirming the flywheel.

Chaski

Don't you have self service wrecking yards in your neck of the woods? At the pick-n-pull yard about 100 miles away from my house there is always around a dozen 73-87 square box rigs. Sure 95% are automatic transmission but you can find manual ones.

Scour Craigslist and your local self service wrecking yards, I really doubt that the later pedal cluster would be an easy swap.

Also this should really be in the "hot rodding and modification" section.

Kellyboy

Don't you have self service wrecking yards in your neck of the woods? At the pick-n-pull yard about 100 miles away from my house there is always around a dozen 73-87 square box rigs. Sure 95% are automatic transmission but you can find manual ones.

Scour Craigslist and your local self service wrecking yards, I really doubt that the later pedal cluster would be an easy swap.

There are probably 100 pick n pull yards in this tiny state. I am striking out other than the guys that want $350 for a pedal assembly out of a picked over rig they paid $0-$200 for complete. I was unaware you could post in different Cucv categories. With my computer skills I'm lucky I figured out how to post in Cucv. Please forgive me for my cyber sins for I know not of forum etiquette.

Obijuank5

85-91 square body manual transmission hydro boost brakes will fit. Vacuum brakes can be made to work.

These yards don't make any money selling desired parts cheap.

Last edited:

FrankenCub

The NV 4500 wasn't introduced until 1993 model year trucks.

Patattack

I know these old 70s and 80s c/k are getting hard to find these days as the years go by, usually when I get a chance to go to a junk yard and see one I grab what I can and stock extra parts just in case. I bet it's hard for you up north them things probably returned to the earth years ago. It's not too bad hear in Maryland but we still salt are roads too. Sometimes it takes time to collect parts for a swap it took me a year to buy this and that for my 4bt and the truck took 2 years to complete. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day.

FrankenCub

wrong the nv4500 was introduced in 1991 in c/k 2500 and 3500 trucks until 2006. It's the nv3500 that got released in 1993.
Both were 1993 model year trucks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Venture_Gear_3500_transmission
http://www.offroaders.com/directory/products/NV4500.htm

I've spent a lot of time researching them both with all the different variables they both had for another swap I had in mind, the 3500 wasn't strong enough for the application and I finally sold the other project to buy a M1008.
Both would probably suit the CUCV's just fine as the 6.2 is rated well within the HP specs of both trannys.

FrankenCub

I can give ya '92 depending on when the '93 model year hit the show room but my original post was intended at 2 previous posts eluding to finding the NV4500 in '74-'87 square body Chevys. That won't happen, unless you find the odd one out that someone swapped into them. They just weren't available yet. There is another tranny that looks very similar to the NV4500, but it isn't the same and it will not hold up like the NV4500. Not looking to argue points, trying to help someone avoid buying the wrong tranny out of an earlier truck that just wont pass the muster.
I double checked Novak Conversions to see what they say, as they specialize in transmission swaps. They also say '93
It's kinda funny, the Wiki page says '91 and uses allpar as a reference, allpar says it came out in '92 for the new Dodge.
The main point, don't go looking in a square body Chevy for an NV4500.

Patattack

Internet facts are always a mystery but I think you misunderstood what I was tell him I told him to find a clutch/brake pedal "assembly" not a trans that's what I was telling him find a pedal from a 73-87 truck not transmission.

FrankenCub

Internet facts are always a mystery but I think you misunderstood what I was tell him I told him to find a clutch/brake pedal "assembly" not a trans that's what I was telling him find a pedal from a 73-87 truck not transmission.
Yeah, I may have misread what you were getting at. For some reason the tranny talk and square body must have taken over lol. I'll have to read it all again to set my head straight.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the pedal assy goes, 73-84 used mechanical linkage and didn't change much. 85-87(91) went to the desirable and pricy hydraulic clutch pedal. Either could be made to work. I did an SM465 swap on my SECM last yr and it used mechanical stuff. Worked pretty well too. I've been cursing the swap since I did it and many times threatened to swap back but the NV4500 is piquing my interest.

snowtrac nome

im not going to go out of town in the middle of winter to pull it I have a 76 truck I could rob a peddle assembly out of for may be a couple hundred bucks to cover the Labor of a sanitary removal