• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nv4500 swap

svlsmokey

I know much has been discussed here about swapping out the T400 for a nv4500. I'm considering doing that. What's a fair price for the nv4500? I'm seeing them ranging from $500 - $1200 depending on how much you get with it. If I remember right, I'm looking for '94 and older - is that required or just a preference? Do the different years have lower/higher gears? I'd prefer a low first gear. Help is greatly appreciated.

'84 M1028

Josh

The older ones have the lower first gear. (I think 94 is the change date for the higher first gear.). I have one out of a 88 k30 that was married to an NP205 I payed 1100 for. It was a fresh rebuild that my buddy decited to go with an auto.

Also makesure you get a chevy NV4500 and not a dodge one. From what I've seen, the chevy ones tend to cost a little bit more.

Check out pirate4x4 too, they pop up there alot or even your local craigslist. One thing to watch out for, is to make sure they used the special transfluid in it. If they didnt, it destroyes the syncros.

But if you want to swap out your 208 for for a 205. I have a 205 and all the nessassarry stuff to bolt it up to a NV4500 that I dont need anymore. Im matting my tranny to a landcruiser xfercase.

Firejareen

I picked mine up for $350, it is one of the 93-94 year models with the 6.34 first gear. After that they changed to a 5.81 or something first gear. If you ask around you will find one. Try asking for a 5 speed out of a 1 ton instead of a NV4500. Thats how I got it for $350, he didn't know the difference.

svlsmokey

I see that the nv4500 for GM 4x4 gas engine is 32 spline output. Is it different for diesel - and does it matter? I've heard that I will need to use an adapter or a 208 transfer case instead of the 205.

acesneights1

Read my thread. ll your questions will be answered...:D
208 bolts right up to it like it was made for it. There are other issues. I documented everything with lots of pics.

ODdave

The older ones have the lower first gear. (I think 94 is the change date for the higher first gear.). I have one out of a 88 k30 that was married to an NP205 I payed 1100 for. It was a fresh rebuild that my buddy decited to go with an auto.

Also makesure you get a chevy NV4500 and not a dodge one. From what I've seen, the chevy ones tend to cost a little bit more.

Check out pirate4x4 too, they pop up there alot or even your local craigslist. One thing to watch out for, is to make sure they used the special transfluid in it. If they didnt, it destroyes the syncros.

But if you want to swap out your 208 for for a 205. I have a 205 and all the nessassarry stuff to bolt it up to a NV4500 that I dont need anymore. Im matting my tranny to a landcruiser xfercase.
Sorry but you dont have an '88 nv4500

ODdave

I see that the nv4500 for GM 4x4 gas engine is 32 spline output. Is it different for diesel - and does it matter? I've heard that I will need to use an adapter or a 208 transfer case instead of the 205.
Same spline on ALL 4x4 gm 4500's diesel, gas, bb, sb, any year. You will need a spacer to fit a 205 (unless you wanna hack it) 208/241 will bolt up as mentiond alredy.

acesneights1

BTW as far as cost I paid 1100 for mine and that was a steal. The GM ones 92-94 ext slave are real hard to comeby especially with the bellhousing. The later ones have an internal slave which I dislike personally. I have heard rumors that the 92-94 ext slave bellhousing hits the front driveshaft . Mine has a lift but even without it I don;t think so but could not say for sure. The later NV4500's have the same bolt pattern on the tranny as a Dodge so a future Cummins swap could be easier. The rest I posted in my thread. You will need to grind out the starter or use a GR. the DD won't fit and to my knowledge a Manuals trans DD 24v one is not made unless you have someone build you one. I ground mine out. It works fine.

ODdave

Probably a getrag.
Only manual trans availible in an 88 1 ton is a sm465. NV3500's where used in the half tons, they where a 5 speed, but not good for this application.

Ace, did you try a conventinal gr starter (12v) just to see if it fit? I ask because I had a gr starter on my 4500 with no interferance problems. I remember you having trouble with it before and was curious of the outcome.

Tanner

Just be sure to use the proper trans oil in the NV-series gearbox... the synthetic fluid required can be spendy.

'Tanner'

acesneights1

I forgot to update but I got a 6.2 flywheel brand new and a 6.5 and put them side by side and the offset was 19/32 on both so I had to redo the pan gasket and when I had the starter out again , I retried the 12v GR one with the big opening and it fit fine. I guess I was in a hurry the first time or just plain pissed off. I am still running the 24v one I ground out as it works fine. A starter shop could probably take a nose off a 12v DD Man trans starter ans swap to the 24v DD as well. So basically the 6.5TD flywheel worked fine but you do need a MT starter or a later model GR with the large opening.

If you have an SM465, I don't see any advantage to that over a TH400 unless you just like a handshaker.
I did the NV4500 as the cheapest most reliable way to get OD and I gotta say I really love the way the truck drives with it.

svlsmokey

Thanks for the info: Forgive my ignorance, but somebody school me on this - what is "DD", "MT or GR Starter", "bb", "sb", etc. Thx.

Also - how critical is it to find the older 4500? Sounds like the newer one will fit ok? I am looking at one that is supposed to be out of a '96 Chevy 1-ton 4x4 but he says it has the 6.34:1 granny gear. Could that be correct?

Tanner

Thanks for the info: Forgive my ignorance, but somebody school me on this - what is "DD", "MT or GR Starter", "bb", "sb", etc. Thx.

Also - how critical is it to find the older 4500? Sounds like the newer one will fit ok? I am looking at one that is supposed to be out of a '96 Chevy 1-ton 4x4 but he says it has the 6.34:1 granny gear. Could that be correct?

DD - could be 'Daily Driver'
MT - could be 'Manual Transmission'
GR - Gear Reduction Starter
BB - Big Block - most often referring to Chevrolet motor
SB - Small Block - most often referring to Chevrolet motor

I *believe* that the physical case size between new & old are the same - the internals changed over the years...

'Tanner'

Atwater

it is not critical to use the earlier version at all. i have a nv4500 out of a 04 2500hd in my m1008. with a few adapters and a new line even managed to make the master cylinder work with the 04' hydraulic throwout bearing . the later nv's tend to command a higher price because their inputs interchange with the dodge version for the cummins

acesneights1

DD=direct drive starter
GR=Gear reduction.
CUCV's come with 24v DD.
A newer NV4500 should work. I chose the older one because I like the external slave setup better. ALL NV's command a high price. The newer ones are good for a future Cummins swap and the older ones are coveted by rockclimbers/offroaders. A decent used NV4500 with bellhousing is worth 1200$+ easily.

southdave

I bpought 2wd 4500, for three hundred spent another 400 on tail shaftwith bearing kit and 4x4 adapter got it all assembled and RR for 150 .. all in all I have 1600 into the swap with clucth and slave ect... but I will do 70 with no issues now

svlsmokey

I was under the impression that speed was limited more by the 4.56 axles than the lack of overdrive... but maybe you're talking about an M1009?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks