• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nv5600?

atbhaack

hello,

I was thinking this might be a good trans for a duece to make it a better daily driver. It has a 5.63 first and a .73 6th. what you guys think? I know there will be a need to move transfer case, new drive shafts.

I was wondering more if there is room for front drive shaft, also what clutch to use? I was thinking I would need to run stock clutch because of fly wheel. I don't know, really looking for your thoughts. I really like the multi fuel, just want to go 70 no faster but 70 would be nice and thought this might do it with keeping the rest of the gears close to were they were.

PackRatWrecker

I think it will hold up fine behind a Continental, but I'm not sure about the LD465. Absolutely not, behind a Cat or NHC250 Cummins.

I was going to use a NV4500 in mine, until I found out the one I had got water in it. but then again, I'm running a fuel injected small block.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I don't see a problem with it from a strength perspective, but I do have some questions...
Does it have a provision for a PTO? (if so, left or right)
How long is the 2wd version?
Do you already have/ have a line on a tranny? If not I would take a close look at M35-Tom's gears set.

PackRatWrecker

IIRC, it has pto access on either side, but most are mounted on the driver's side. I does require a countershaft pto, so the output will clear the overdrive housing.

The one I have is from a '92 Chevy 3500HD. It has the rear drum brake provision, and the tailhousing is longer than the standard 2wd pickup rear housing. I can measure the length of mine, if it will help you any.

Here's a good info page on the NV4500:
NV4500 Transmissions - Adapters - NV4500 Conversions

ODdave

just my opinion, but it seems like a lot of $ and time to put a problematic trans in the deuce. the only advantages i see are there might be a 6bt in front of it that could be installed w/trans (but its gonna be a 12volt electronic controlled vp44 engine) and it shifts a lil smoother. Down falls, very expensive to buy, very expensive to fix, they have lube problems, (this trans hurt New Venture Gear baddly) one more gear to shift through to get pretty much the same o.d. ratio. and thats only if its bolted to the cummins, how would you bolt it to the Multi???

PackRat, "The one I have is from a '92 Chevy 3500HD" no, you dont have a 5600 from a 92 chevy..............

Last edited:
Agree with ODdave. I had an NV5600 in my 2001 Dodge Cummins 4x4. It's a notchier shifting trans compared to the NV4500 I had in my 2003 Dodge diesel. The NV5600's won't take the abuse like a NV4500 from what I've seen. Most Dodge pullers use the NV4500's that are built. Parts for rebuilding the NV5600 are getting pretty rare thats was the motivation for me to sell my 2001 even though the trans stiill shifted great.
Andy

atbhaack

That is great info. I really like the multi, want to be able to run wmo all the time. I was just looking for a way to keep it in its power band more. I do have a line on one. But there is also a 6 speed ford as well. Not sure the model # I will look into that and see if you guys have any knowledge of it as good or bad. Thanks for all the help.

JasonS

I have had no problems with the NV5600 in my dodge, but like the others have posted, it will be expensive to fix. I'd try for something more common and less $$$$$ How about a 6 speed Fuller FSO-6406A transmission?

ODdave

are you against larger tires? i have 395's and a slightly cranked fuel screw and rum 70mph all day long, (seriously i drove it 7+ hours on the hwy in one day only stoping to get some food and again to leave it)

mudguppy

first of all, you won't get a '5600 behind any engine in the deuce without moving the transfer rearward. right now i'm prepping to put my 5.9/4500 combo in; my '4500 custom config is as short as a '4500 can get and it's still 2" longer than the spicer combo because of the clutch housing and external OD gear set. and a '5600 is, IIRC, at least 6" longer than a '4500.

secondly, the 5600 will outlast a any MF motor you can put in front of it. the '5600 is quite a bit stronger than the '4500. example: you don't need upgraded input shaft on the '5600 like you do on the '4500 above 500hp. however, pullers use the 4500 because of the 10:1 availability. plus, they don't need the extra gear ratio, as they only pull in one gear anyway.

the reliability issues around the 1st gen '5600's primarily revolve around lubrication as previously mentioned: the angle of the engine/trans would starve the input gear of oil. this is simply combated by putting in an extra 1 (or 1.5??) pints of oil in through the shift tower.

lastly, good luck finding an FSO-6406A. you can find FS-xxx6's all day long, but FSO's are rare. typically you'll only find the 5 and 6 speeds in around-town box trucks; those trucks are rarely spec'd w/ OD trans. i know - i've been looking and have given up. however, i'm happy w/ the route i'm going.

JasonS

first of all, you won't get a '5600 behind any engine in the deuce without moving the transfer rearward. right now i'm prepping to put my 5.9/4500 combo in; my '4500 custom config is as short as a '4500 can get and it's still 2" longer than the spicer combo because of the clutch housing and external OD gear set. and a '5600 is, IIRC, at least 6" longer than a '4500.

secondly, the 5600 will outlast a any MF motor you can put in front of it. the '5600 is quite a bit stronger than the '4500. example: you don't need upgraded input shaft on the '5600 like you do on the '4500 above 500hp. however, pullers use the 4500 because of the 10:1 availability. plus, they don't need the extra gear ratio, as they only pull in one gear anyway.

the reliability issues around the 1st gen '5600's primarily revolve around lubrication as previously mentioned: the angle of the engine/trans would starve the input gear of oil. this is simply combated by putting in an extra 1 (or 1.5??) pints of oil in through the shift tower.

lastly, good luck finding an FSO-6406A. you can find FS-xxx6's all day long, but FSO's are rare. typically you'll only find the 5 and 6 speeds in around-town box trucks; those trucks are rarely spec'd w/ OD trans. i know - i've been looking and have given up. however, i'm happy w/ the route i'm going.
I believe that the links above will describe how to convert the FS to FSO using off the shelf parts. The first gen NV5600 had a smaller input shaft. My understanding was that the G56 had the lube issues?

eldgenb

you can still run WVO in a cummins, look for a 12v nv4500 combo out of a 2wd dodge truck and swap in the whole unit, you will like it a lot better.

mudguppy

I believe that the links above will describe how to convert the FS to FSO using off the shelf parts. ...
yes, you can. and for the cost of the parts and labor you can buy a reman'd '5600. or better yet, since they are so hard to find, you could buy a brand new ZF6, which is better than both the '4500 and '5600.

you might be right about the getrag - i can't remember what the '5600 issues were. it's been a long day...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks