• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

O.D. Semi-Gloss over carc. What do you think?

boomer

It's been a while since I had an O.D. truck. I have planned to get the carc chemical stuff(expensive as it is) , pour it on and scrape it off. Rather dealling with needle scalers, or sanders and haz mat gear.
Then I thought of painting of the carc. Has anyone done this? How did it turn out? How long did it last?
Any more prep work? Scuffing the carc, and primer? Checking on cracks, etc.
Waiting to hear. Thanks

AceHigh

I did mine that way. Lots of needle scaling, sanding, even grinding in the pitted bed. Followed that with rustoleum red primer and Gillispie semi-gloss OD. That was 2 years ago and no issues.

SPCWarning

I say clean a small section of the CARC and paint the OD over it and see how it goes on, how it looks, and how it holds up for a week or two. If it's good to go then I'd go for it. That CARC is some pretty tough stuff to remove and it's a good base coat.
Jimmy

popz76

We just washed her up real good.. sanded and treated the few surface rust spots, then got out the paint gun and hit her with the 'ol 24087 from Rapco...and that was near 3 yrs ago with no problems...AND she sits outside yr 'round as well.

Attachments

SteveKuhn

If you're talking about OD semi 24087, the CARC is fine as a base coat but if you don't sand off the CARC roughness, the finish will be dead and not semi gloss. That doesn't matter on the back of the cab and such but I have one spot about 2" high on the right fender above the running board that I missed in sanding and it sticks out like a sore thumb to me.

If I was doing flat I wouldn't be concerned because a big purpose of sanding is to give a rough surface for the new paint to grap. The CARC is rough. That said, personally I'd still sand.

I expect it mine will last as long as the finish coat should. Any paint underneath can chip off in time including primer.

Naturally, you want to take care of rust and stuff but that wasn't the question. Just thought I'd mention it because for my money I'd worry more about that than the CARC.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks